• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What are your favorite targets?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got some wind chimes made from old lawn mower blades. Sometimes the wind isn't strong enough to move the blades but the .45 sure can make it "sing".

Last edited:
Used ta could plink at clay birds from a hand held thrower. Age put paid to that. Can still hit them with a shotgun though.
Tin cans and plastic bottles filled with water. Put them in the recycle bucket when finished.

Mostly shoot at a state range and they are pretty picky there so it's paper target only. Occassionally shoot at friends house and he has a couple of steel targets I enjoy plinking at. Has them placed against an old, unused rail bed for a solid backstop, can get up to 85yd shots if I want.

Hang Fast Targets has just designed a new "TREE HANGER" which attaches to a tree (or anything you can screw into). Very quick installation which makes setting up "woods walks" very easy. They will be on sale for labor day.

Big fury Buggers that actually stand still!!:)
You can obviosly use M/L's in N.Z. from Rudyards previous posts.I have also have grassed a few but We suffer from MIN. MV & ME here formated by Our Bunny Huggers so it's The Other Things we have to use.. Wonder how many Red Stags were harvested with .451" Henry rifles before C/F was invented or pre Nitro C/F rifles..
Lancers Monarch of the Glen more than likely Fell to Black Powder..My own restriction was 200 yds at most with the Swede. OLD DOG..

Recycling cans into targets is a good thing.
That way I don't feel so bad about my blackpowder carbon footprint.

I love punching holes in paper.
But once in a while someone will give me a fruit basket. And that gives me lots of targets that will get eaten by the wildlife.
Tune up every hunting season is a beer or pop can offhand at 30yds. Something that is easy to pick up and dispose of.
And of course there are the usual rodents... but that typically isn't with a ML. Still, it gives me plenty of practice on live targets with improvised shooting positions and not off a bench.

You can obviosly use M/L's in N.Z. from Rudyards previous posts.I have also have grassed a few but We suffer from MIN. MV & ME here formated by Our Bunny Huggers so it's The Other Things we have to use.. Wonder how many Red Stags were harvested with .451" Henry rifles before C/F was invented or pre Nitro C/F rifles..
Lancers Monarch of the Glen more than likely Fell to Black Powder..My own restriction was 200 yds at most with the Swede. OLD DOG..
Yep we can pretty well use any Rifle/musket/shotgun/bow/Crossbow we like. On private land if it will shoot and drop a deer you can use it. I have shot a few with just .22lr, Day or night is fine so spotlighting and NV is ok. On Govt land daylight only and no rimfire or shotguns but apart from that the rest applies. Hunting with front stuffers is not big here but there are a few of us that do it. We do not have deer seasons so no extra time/season for using a muzzleloader. You can just hunt all year and shoot as many as you can find. I don`t hunt as much as I used to due to work constraints but used to shoot about 12 Deer a year as the Dogs ate about a deer a month.

Yep we can pretty well use any Rifle/musket/shotgun/bow/Crossbow we like. On private land if it will shoot and drop a deer you can use it. I have shot a few with just .22lr, Day or night is fine so spotlighting and NV is ok. On Govt land daylight only and no rimfire or shotguns but apart from that the rest applies. Hunting with front stuffers is not big here but there are a few of us that do it. We do not have deer seasons so no extra time/season for using a muzzleloader. You can just hunt all year and shoot as many as you can find. I don`t hunt as much as I used to due to work constraints but used to shoot about 12 Deer a year as the Dogs ate about a deer a month.
Dogs living in the Lap of Luxury (LOL). You seem to have so many Alien spieses from Buffs,Boar,Goats and other Imigrants and open season to boot. LOL (Lap of Luxury)

Wouldn.t that be Sir Edwin Landseer and the foot pound MV poop dreamed up by some' Beer talker'? '.Old Kit Ravenshear shot deer with a 300 Sherwood and I don't think Robin Hood had someone with a back up 243 or 270. Ive bowled Mule deer with a 22 rf but only as a matter of expediency one trip in British Columbia . I've not met Tasbay yet but we shoot on the same range
Tasbay sums it up . There was some US tourist asked DOC' department of conservation' what load was he was allowed for deer ?Doc had no idea so they ask some BP shooter who says' Oh I use 300 grain bullet & 80 grains for Rusa' No doubt he shot a percussion Tony Hawkins 451 . So the Doc bods reckoned this was a standard minimum. It took me a lot of explaining that a round ball & say 65 grains was up to 30 30 ballistics & better . Though in practice you rarely meet a DOC ranger & when I 've done so he's allways been happy to fire my flintlock or Snaphance whatever I had .
Regards Rudyard

Sighting in at 25 to 100 yds. , a 4 " square of flourescent orange duct tape on a paper. W/iron sights , I can see that well. Next , a 4" gong at 50Yds. , 8" gong at 100 yds. fire in the hole.........!!

Latest posts

Back