• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Oh the Chains that Bind Us

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just started shootings my side by side shotguns at sporting clay courses. No golf cart. I shoot and reload from my bag, powder horn, shot flask,etc…
It took me a while to figure it out and get comfortable with leaving my big boxes of stuff in the car. Walk from station to station, new target scenario each time, got what I need. Not like hunting, but in my head, I’m out “in the field”.
Luckily for me, the courses I’ve been shooting are very spacious and beautifully constructed within woodsy surroundings.
Curious. I have informally shot 5 stand, skeet and trap with the centerfire crowd with my 12 gauge double muzzleloader. I may slow them down a bit, but they enjoy the comic relief I provide and don’t seem to mind. I use premeasured shot and powder tubes that I have preposition at a few of the stations - I don’t attempt to carry everything, and then measure powder and shot from a horn and shot flask on the fly. But that is me shooting a centerfire course with a muzzleloader. I would love to know how and see some photographs of your bag setup for a 50 to 100 target round of sporting clays. A pound of powder should be enough, so a large horn would work. For discussion and ease of the math , let’s assume 64 targets. One ounce of lead per shot, or four pounds of shot. Do you have a large shot flask, or multiple smaller ones? Then there are wads or shot cards. And in the end, keeping up with the pace. I would love to see photographs and a description of your setup.

Curious. I have informally shot 5 stand, skeet and trap with the centerfire crowd with my 12 gauge double muzzleloader. I may slow them down a bit, but they enjoy the comic relief I provide and don’t seem to mind. I use premeasured shot and powder tubes that I have preposition at a few of the stations - I don’t attempt to carry everything, and then measure powder and shot from a horn and shot flask on the fly. But that is me shooting a centerfire course with a muzzleloader. I would love to know how and see some photographs of your bag setup for a 50 to 100 target round of sporting clays. A pound of powder should be enough, so a large horn would work. For discussion and ease of the math , let’s assume 64 targets. One ounce of lead per shot, or four pounds of shot. Do you have a large shot flask, or multiple smaller ones? Then there are wads or shot cards. And in the end, keeping up with the pace. I would love to see photographs and a description of your setup.

I usually shoot at about 30 to 40 clays and I am selective regarding the stations that I shoot from. So I’m never attempting to complete an entire course. I carry about 3/4 of of a pound of powder in my horn and about 3-4 pounds of shot In a hard leather flask with Irish spout. Wads and other tools in the bag.

Attachments

• 385325EF-4BAA-497B-9D0C-F5C16C1B2244.jpeg
    385325EF-4BAA-497B-9D0C-F5C16C1B2244.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 33
I usually shoot at about 30 to 40 clays and I am selective regarding the stations that I shoot from. So I’m never attempting to complete an entire course. I carry about 3/4 of of a pound of powder in my horn and about 3-4 pounds of shot In a hard leather flask with Irish spout. Wads and other tools in the bag.
Thank you for the feedback. Imagine shooting at about half the birds in a round of clays with the centerfire crowd would be doable. I have walked the clays with a group of friends using centerfire shotguns guns just having fun (no score keeping) while using my Pedersoli double, and there is usually enough time with the chatter going on that I can pretty much keep with my preloaded rounds, though I haven’t tried carrying more than 40. When I am the only one with a muzzleloader I don’t want to hold the group up at every station.

At the club I belong to I can shoot by myself pretty much anytime I want to (when not in use by club), but haven’t found that much fun, though practice is always good.

I was just reading through a thread this morning and was struck by some experiences that I had...memories that came flooding back.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/range-box-examples.144565/#post-2036366
The link to the thread is posted just above.

I love to shoot out of the bag, it gives me a sense of freedom. The pace of this sport is slow and methodical, compared to modern firearms, and I love that aspect. When I'm in the woods, out in the field, with a fine muzzleloader...every shot counts, you take your time. There are people that come into this sport and never really get that...

Years ago, I used to have a shooting range down along a small river and I'd shoot there most weekends, with close friends and family. Not my dream range, but pretty darn close. I'd shoot for a bit, work on loads, site in a new gun and then usually go stump shooting down along the banks of the creek for an hour or so, before heading home. I loved it, those walks were my favorite part of shooting; Load, prime, walk...pick a challenging target and BOOM; Load prime, walk...pick a challenging target and BOOM. Rinse and repeat for an hour or so, then head home. Great time and wow does that build confidence in your shooting abilities.

I had a college friend/lab partner that started to come shooting with me. Didn't take long and he had his own muzzleloader and was enjoying the weekend mornings and/or afternoons at the range. When it came time for me to go on my little "Woods Walk/Fantasy Hunting Trip", most times he'd stay at the range loading and shooting. One time in particular he walked with me. We'd pick a target & shoot; then he'd head back to the truck, while I loaded and got ready to look for the next challenging target. After each shot he'd walk back to the truck and I'd load and get ready and wait for him to return.

Finally he asks, "How do you do that?"........."Do what?"

"How do you shoot, load and shoot again without having to go back to the truck each time? How do you do that?"

I was engrossed in my surroundings and hadn't even noticed.

My friend had fallen into that notorious trap of being "Chained" to all his gear and do-dads that he brought to the range with him each time we went shooting. He loved his tool box full of bits and pieces and parts that he could use for any situation that occurred. I swear he could build a gun from scratch at the range with all his gear...And that tool kit, that he lugged out each time, had slowly created this mental Chain that tied him to within walking distance of the truck. In my opinion it robbed him of one of the simple pleasures of this sport. It took awhile to unchain him from this mental anchor.

And I see this all the time in my shooting club. Seriously...go to a club and shoot and watch. A couple guys will move from station to station, shooting and loading, shooting and loading...club rules dictate that they have to leave the line...but they shoot and load. Most of the members have all their stuff at the table and they will walk back and forth all day...and at the end of the shoot they are exhausted, but they surely got in their steps...

How many of us see this? There's a big difference between shooters and hunters...Well unless you're a road hunter, I guess...

How many of us truly feel comfortable going off with nothing but the contents of a shooting bag, some powder and shot?

Lots of people "say" they can...those chains are hard to break
Hey, I think I've shot with your friend. lol

I've tried to explain to some folks who haven't shot anything but off the benchrest or offhand at targets at a match that hunting is a completely different game. They don't seem to get the idea that very often in a hunting situation there is a real need to get another shot off fast. No time for carefully measuring out the powder charge or pounding down a tight load with a range rod. They don't get the idea that you don't need a 1" group at 50 yards to get off another shot at the running deer you didn't lead quite enough with your first shot. I guess if you haven't been a hunter all your life there are some things you just don't get. They seem to think that if their rifle shoots 1" groups at 50 yards they'll only need one shot anyway. It's too bad that so many people, especially the younger ones, weren't blessed with the times we old fogies had in our youth where we learned some of these things.

If I am out shooting, everything I need is in my shooting bag and my powder horn. What more do you need besides powder, ball, patch, a spare flint or tin of caps and a patch knife. I might add a small tin of lubricant.
So how many shots are you prepared for if you are out shooting? A round of sporting clays for example can be 80 to 100 rounds. And on the clock. Not arguing, just curious if everything you need is in your bag and powder horn. I haven’t found a way to do it, yet appears I am somehow substandard because I cannot shoot only out of my bag and horn.

I personally LOVE looking at well made wooden range boxes, I have one of my own, but I have never taken it to the range, so I call it my "Gun Box".
When I go to the range or out to the 'outback' all that I need is in one or two bags: my gun bag and my 'bag'. The gun bag has all I need to shoot, load, shoot, and a small flint wallet with turn screw, knapper, and flints. The other 'bag' has cleaning rags, extra shot, lube, pliers, and snacks. Only other thing I carry, as of very recently, is a brass ramrod with an Elk horn handle - which happens to slide right into my rifle sleeve too.

However on a couple occasions I have taken multiple guns (2 rifles, blunderbuss, two flintlock pistols, and a couple Percussion) and THEN I did take the range box, only because I was trying to get friends involved....but clean is a PAIN so I don't do that often.

I have often wondered when I see one or two guys at the range, each with a single gun, and a huge FULL range box: Did they build those guns, right here, just today?!!?

I agree however, I love the slow and relaxed muzzleloader life.

So how many shots are you prepared for if you are out shooting? A round of sporting clays for example can be 80 to 100 rounds. And on the clock. Not arguing, just curious if everything you need is in your bag and powder horn. I haven’t found a way to do it, yet appears I am somehow substandard because I cannot shoot only out of my bag and horn.
Usually it is a small event and I will prepare for about 20 shots.

Sporting Clays will require the components for 100 shots.

When shooting at sporting clay course you can prepare for and shoot as few shots as are comfortable for you. It’s pretty casual, unless you are competing. So for me, I walk it, at my own pace, getting some exercise. And quit, usually before the powder or shot that I carry, runs out. Basically, my back runs out of steam before my components are depleted.😂😂

This is what I carry while walking the course, and it is pretty heavy. I know that I could leave the heavy brass ramrod behind, but I just like it better than the one that came with the gun. And I use a recoil pad only to protect the butt end while loading.

Attachments

• 06937988-1F65-4C2E-A965-6B91FA458AFA.jpeg
    06937988-1F65-4C2E-A965-6B91FA458AFA.jpeg
    272.1 KB · Views: 26
Often we read of old timers who are caught off alone for some reason. They have a full horn, but only a few balls in their bags.
I’ve never shot a full round of skeet. And twenty rounds is enough for me at a range.
seventy grains, provided you don’t spill any gives you a hundred shots to a pound. A hundred ounces is six and a quarter pounds. Again assuming you don’t spill. About nine/ ten pounds with bags tools and wads.
umph

Often we read of old timers who are caught off alone for some reason. They have a full horn, but only a few balls in their bags.
I’ve never shot a full round of skeet. And twenty rounds is enough for me at a range.
seventy grains, provided you don’t spill any gives you a hundred shots to a pound. A hundred ounces is six and a quarter pounds. Again assuming you don’t spill. About nine/ ten pounds with bags tools and wads.
umph
Do you think just maybe those old timers had a packhorse or a mule, the all terrain pickup trucks of the day for their extra stuff?

Do you think just maybe those old timers had a packhorse or a mule, the all terrain pickup trucks of the day for their extra stuff?
Yes they did. And they hung stuff from saddles. They didn’t go hunting or checking traps or any other off by your lonesome activity weighted down like I do on a trek

When I go the range for practice and sighting in I take a large fishing tackle box full of all sorts of unnecessary stuff . when I am in a competition I take a large fishing tackle box full of all sorts of unnecessary stuff in case someone else has a problem . :thumb:

Back