• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What Does Your Range Bench Set-Up Look Like?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As a fairly new ML shooter, one of the things I have found that I really enjoy is going to shoots and having folks show me their range setups. I’m usually very impressed with the ingenuity that guys have, and they way their loading bench set up kind of matches their personality.

I’m soon leaving my band so that I can spend more time with my daughters. As they get older, one of the things I hope to do is to spend weekends with them at Blackpowder shoots. So, this evening I spent a little time thinking about how I can repurpose some of my unused music equipment into things for my range set up.

My plan is to turn an old double guitar stand into a collapsible loading bench. I bought an old cleaning rack several month ago for cheap, but had no plans for it. I’m going to mount it to the top of the guitar stand, and the way that it will sit gives it the most stability from the stand. I’ll cut some notches in the rack and line them with felt to create a sort of Baskin board. I’m also going to repurpose the guitar neck rests so that they attach to the rack and create a place to hang things from.

I’m also going to figure out a way to repurpose and old round base mic stand into a spotting scope mount. That shouldn’t be too hard.

I’m looking forward to getting this stuff out together.

What does your range bench setup look like?

Attachments

• A801A781-085D-43B8-9E4C-AF0C82465DC9.jpeg
    A801A781-085D-43B8-9E4C-AF0C82465DC9.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I was planning on using the guitar stands as a kind of gun test/rack, but the way that the tripods sit, it just isn’t solid enough to hold a rifle. However, I think by mounting the cleaning rack across the stand, all of the weight will be caught by that back leg and should make for a solid base.

I’m going to have to figure out how to get the threads on the mic stand to work with the threads on the spotting scope, but I can probably get a series of adapters to get it where I want it to be.

My guitar stand is not steady enough for the weight, but it's a cheapie. I'm sure a good stand is a lot steadier. Balance might be an issue. Try it out before you proceed too far.
I’m certainly not going to trust it with all of the weight at once :). The double stand I think will work. I have a singe stand, and there’s no way that will be solid enough.
I can always bolt on some fold out outriggers on the back leg to add some more peripheral support.

In most things I try to pare away the inessential. Given our national infatuation with things and the newest gadget it can be difficult.

A range box with a tool for every possible problem that might arise at the range is a heavy load. I am not going to the range to be an amateur gunsmith. I am going to fire my guns. Worried about some hypothetical problem? Bring an extra gun.

Contained chaos. I have 3 Cabela's ammo boxes (unmentionables gear, tools and ammo) and a medium sized Dewalt tool box for all things black powder. When I go to the range, it isn't for a hour or two. Now that the weather is becoming more conducive to shooting, I stay and shoot everything I brought with me. 4 and a half hours yesterday. You really don't want to see the mess but it works for me. I carry everything that goes "bang" in rifle carrying cases. A rifle carrying case can protect 4 revolvers/pistols or two rifles while in transit. I have three of them. 👍

My range bag has all my usual "every range trip" needs - targets, stapler, hearing protection, some tools, couple of kinds of lube, partial boxes of ammo for just about everything I own, a mag for just about everything I own and a couple of things I no longer own, etc.

When I shoot BP I take a dedicated BP box as well, which has all of my BP-specific stuff in it - my powder, measure, bullets, balls, patches, wads, some sabots and appropriate pistol bullets for 'em, BP-lube, short starter, range rod, BP cleaning stuff, etc.

Guns go in cheap hard cases, and at the range I pull my fishing cart out of my trunk and load 'er up and go.

Don't use a wiggly bench. Gun rest should be solid , and high enough , so you don't have to stretch around the stock in an unnatural shooting position. Shooting unmentionables , some rest the forearm on a padded rest , and put their fist under the bottom point of the butt. With m/l rifles , use both hands to hold the rifle into the shoulder , one on the forearm , and one on the trigger/wrist area. Keep it solid , but not stressed. Same sight picture every time , and fire the shot.

My range bench is the sidewall of a pickup bed. The tailgate is the loading and stuff area, the bed sidewall is the rifle rest. I park the truck at an angle where I can use the sidewall with a GI blanket or some such thing to help steady the rifle and shoot over the tailgate area.
Works well for the area that I shoot in, just desert.

Untitled by Sharps Man, on Flickr

I've been shooting rifles a looooonnnngg time and as for BP rifles....this is the best method I've found for checking our a load or to check the ability of the rifle to perform! Off a bench with the forward hand under the forward portion of the forearm!

Last edited:

I've been shooting rifles a looooonnnngg time and as for BP rifles....this is the best method I've found for checking our a load or to check the ability of the rifle to perform! Off a bench with the forward hand under the forward portion of the forearm!

Now that is cool!

My tool, as in bits and pieces box, is exactly that, one of those cheap double fold out steel tool boxes. Ammo is carried in a bag. Cross sticks while sitting on the tool box provides all the stability needed for load/sight testing. We shoot one competition with sticks, but all else is done offhand. Oh, I nearly forgot, a spotting scope is a must.

Back