• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Oh the Chains that Bind Us

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rock Home Isle

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I was just reading through a thread this morning and was struck by some experiences that I had...memories that came flooding back.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/range-box-examples.144565/#post-2036366
The link to the thread is posted just above.

I love to shoot out of the bag, it gives me a sense of freedom. The pace of this sport is slow and methodical, compared to modern firearms, and I love that aspect. When I'm in the woods, out in the field, with a fine muzzleloader...every shot counts, you take your time. There are people that come into this sport and never really get that...

Years ago, I used to have a shooting range down along a small river and I'd shoot there most weekends, with close friends and family. Not my dream range, but pretty darn close. I'd shoot for a bit, work on loads, site in a new gun and then usually go stump shooting down along the banks of the creek for an hour or so, before heading home. I loved it, those walks were my favorite part of shooting; Load, prime, walk...pick a challenging target and BOOM; Load prime, walk...pick a challenging target and BOOM. Rinse and repeat for an hour or so, then head home. Great time and wow does that build confidence in your shooting abilities.

I had a college friend/lab partner that started to come shooting with me. Didn't take long and he had his own muzzleloader and was enjoying the weekend mornings and/or afternoons at the range. When it came time for me to go on my little "Woods Walk/Fantasy Hunting Trip", most times he'd stay at the range loading and shooting. One time in particular he walked with me. We'd pick a target & shoot; then he'd head back to the truck, while I loaded and got ready to look for the next challenging target. After each shot he'd walk back to the truck and I'd load and get ready and wait for him to return.

Finally he asks, "How do you do that?"........."Do what?"

"How do you shoot, load and shoot again without having to go back to the truck each time? How do you do that?"

I was engrossed in my surroundings and hadn't even noticed.

My friend had fallen into that notorious trap of being "Chained" to all his gear and do-dads that he brought to the range with him each time we went shooting. He loved his tool box full of bits and pieces and parts that he could use for any situation that occurred. I swear he could build a gun from scratch at the range with all his gear...And that tool kit, that he lugged out each time, had slowly created this mental Chain that tied him to within walking distance of the truck. In my opinion it robbed him of one of the simple pleasures of this sport. It took awhile to unchain him from this mental anchor.

And I see this all the time in my shooting club. Seriously...go to a club and shoot and watch. A couple guys will move from station to station, shooting and loading, shooting and loading...club rules dictate that they have to leave the line...but they shoot and load. Most of the members have all their stuff at the table and they will walk back and forth all day...and at the end of the shoot they are exhausted, but they surely got in their steps...

How many of us see this? There's a big difference between shooters and hunters...Well unless you're a road hunter, I guess...

How many of us truly feel comfortable going off with nothing but the contents of a shooting bag, some powder and shot?

Lots of people "say" they can...those chains are hard to break

Yes, when shooting from the bag good planning is imperative. It doesn't take a lot, but some basics will keep you in the woods and not hiking back "to the truck" . I think you have captured the essence of the pleasure most of us enjoy about this sport.

In our competition, you're always shooting out of a cartridge box. None of this leave the line nonsense. The only tools I have with me while practicing is a vent pick.

How many of us truly feel comfortable going off with nothing but the contents of a shooting bag, some powder and shot?

I can do it and if hunting or trail walking, it's the only way I do it. I spent two weeks in the wilderness on one hunt and had everything needed in a bag and horn. I don't see how anyone who is a serious about shooting muzzle loaders doesn't want to become familiar with such a system that will work for them.

However, when I go to the range I do have three shooting boxes in the car. Just because I or someone else might need something.

I just started shootings my side by side shotguns at sporting clay courses. No golf cart. I shoot and reload from my bag, powder horn, shot flask,etc…
It took me a while to figure it out and get comfortable with leaving my big boxes of stuff in the car. Walk from station to station, new target scenario each time, got what I need. Not like hunting, but in my head, I’m out “in the field”.
Luckily for me, the courses I’ve been shooting are very spacious and beautifully constructed within woodsy surroundings.

Last edited:
This is the set up at our range. Loading area directly behind the shooting bench so not a lot of walking involved. At our annual club match we do a Fer-du-Lac relay shooting from the bag. Targets are set at 100 yds. Everybody marches up to the 75 yard line, shoots the 25 yard shots, move's back to 50, etc... There's usually a trail of dropped patches, ball etc. as most of the shooters at our club haven't done a trail walk in a long time and are a bit rusty.
IMG_0066.JPG

I just started shootings my side by side shotguns at sporting clay courses. No golf cart. I shoot and reload from my bag, powder horn, shot flask,etc…
It took me a while to figure it out and get comfortable with leaving my big boxes of stuff in the car. Walk from station to station, new target scenario each time, got what I need. Not like hunting, but in my head, I’m out “in the field”.
Luckily for me, the courses I’ve been shooting are very spacious and beautifully constructed within woodsy surroundings.

I'd have to learn a whole new system for shotgun. Gotta be more complicated than rb shooting.

I've always tried to capture the essence of muzzleloading from the 18th century reasoning, The shop is where guns are prepared ,the range is the place for practice ,and proving all is functional, the hunt is where all is put into action , and purpose. Once I leave the comfort of the shop , and range ,the rest is me ,gun,and shot pouch.................oldwood

I'd have to learn a whole new system for shotgun. Gotta be more complicated than rb shooting.

yep, wads and a system for dispensing shot. Plus, two flintlocks on one gun, double the chances of something going wrong. Haha.
And to have enough shot to to last a few hours, weighs about 3-4 pounds, hanging around your neck. 16 shots per pound. Lol.

Last edited:
yep, wads and a system for dispensing shot. Plus, two flintlocks on one gun, double the chances of something going wrong. Haha.
And to have enough shot to to last a few hours, weighs about 3-4 pounds, hanging around your neck. 16 shots per pound. Lol.
I don’t think that the shooters of flintlock side by sides between 1790 and 1820 carried enough gear for continuous shooting on the go. Enough for the hunt would suffice, and for target shooters of the day, they’d shot from a stationary location.

I don't hunt anymore (the years catch up, don't they) but still prefer to load from the bag. It feels more 'historical' and I enjoy putting together the needed gear without tons of just-in-case items.

That said, I usually have extra gear and a spare gun in the car to help out other shooters or let the curious (often youngsters at the range with their dads) try a few shots.

Jeff

I understand the mentality… especially if you don’t get to shoot too often. It’s easy insurance to bring all the doodads to make sure that if something unexpected does happen, it won’t prematurely end a rare day of shooting.

Of course, the answer is to shoot more, because it’s fun, and because with some practice the “oops” moments become less, and the need for all the stuff correspondingly goes away. And then if something goes awry it’s not the end of the world to go home early. But shooting more often does usually require a lifestyle adjustment of some kind.

Back