• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What a hoot it would be...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am probably the only person out there that doesn't like the Forged in Fire show. They take good blade smiths, put them in a pressure cooker timed event where they rush their work, make mistake after mistake to the point that their finished product sometimes looks very amateurish.

I posted my opinion on another board and got flamed for even suggesting that the show ran contrary to what a true craftsman is all about, which isn't about the speed of production.

Whether I am making a bow or flintlock, if I get in a hurry BAD things happen.

Oh boy, I know that feeling all too well. Once something bad happens, I will stay away from the project for a week, sometimes two weeks, until my anger has diminished. Then I will return and fix whatever went wrong.

I am probably the only person out there that doesn't like the Forged in Fire show. They take good blade smiths, put them in a pressure cooker timed event where they rush their work, make mistake after mistake to the point that their finished product sometimes looks very amateurish.

I posted my opinion on another board and got flamed for even suggesting that the show ran contrary to what a true craftsman is all about, which isn't about the speed of production.

Eric, All kidding aside my Nephew won in the show twice. He went on to become a great knife maker and has an established Business in Industry City in Brooklyn N.Y.. he thinks that he came out ahead because he kept his cool under pressure and for the most part gave him the Win(s). he was into this from the time he was a kid well before it became popular on T,V. The pictured knife was a thank you from him to me for my involvement in his early days. I think you are correct that producers crank up the pressure.

Attachments

• 20230404_101639_Burst05.jpg
    20230404_101639_Burst05.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
The great part of competition shows, particularly cooking, is that they show how to innovate under pressure and display how important basic concepts are. A potentially interesting way to have a show would be to give smiths new challenges that they may be less familiar with. If a group of competitors that are experienced at forging flintlocks have to make a miquelet lock for the first time, it can show how to use existing skills and knowledge in a new situation (though this example is not that different). This helps to engage the audience because they can feel like they are learning right along with the competitors.

I’ve never seen forged in fire (it’s on my list) so apologies if this is how they do it.

Latest posts

Back