• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion Lock Damaged in Fire

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Limestone

32 Cal
Reaction score
Recently saw an 1840's Springfield lock for sale that had been in a fire. It was rusty and had a heavy scale on it. Don't know if it was in a safe or hanging on the wall during the fire. Here is my question I know the main and sear springs would be under tension while in the lock. Lets say for conversation purposes the fire got up to 800 to 1200 degrees for several hours. Would the springs loose there temper or spring strength? Also would the other internal parts tumbler, bridle and sear be damaged? Was tempted to buy, but was not sure if it was now just a relic. This might be a question for a blacksmith. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I’d get it at a reduced price, it may be ok. Springs may need to be retempered and internals hardened. Bring a small file with you and see if you can file part of the tumbler. If it won’t file, it’s probably ok. See if they will drop the price due to condition.

I would expect all parts are soft and will need reworked. Depending on how deep the scaling is the real problem as that means there’s less material to work with. What do you hope to do with the lock in the end?

I would expect all parts are soft and will need reworked. Depending on how deep the scaling is the real problem as that means there’s less material to work with. What do you hope to do with the lock in the end?
The plan for the project is to put together a replica of an 1842 Palmetto. I want get a lock plate from the Rifle Shop, and use the internal parts of a donor lock plate. The donor plate was going to help with the correct layout for drilling and tapping TRS lock plate. All still in the planning stages. Also plan to use steel barrel bands instead of brass. Thank you for the advice on the value of the rusty internal parts.

Back