• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler Rear Sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toad1

32 Cal
Reaction score
Been saving my pennies, getting close to ordering a Kibler Woodsrunner. Have a question on the rear sight. I see there is an option for a taller rear sight. For those who have built this rifle is it wise to get the taller sight?

The closer the sights are to the barrel, the faster mirage will begin to distort your sight picture as the barrel heats up.
So on a multiple shot woodswalk match, a taller sight will usually give you an "edge". Unless you're trying to split horizontal playing cards. You'll want be as close to the bore as possible for such precise work.

A tall(er) sight is more likely to be damaged, especially on a hunt trip. And we're seldom lucky/unlucky enough to heat up a barrel from multiple shots on hunt. Sure sucks to look down while on the hunt of a lifetime and see a sight all bashed, bent or missing..lol

Been saving my pennies, getting close to ordering a Kibler Woodsrunner. Have a question on the rear sight. I see there is an option for a taller rear sight. For those who have built this rifle is it wise to get the taller sight?
My colonial came with the shorter sight. I ordered the taller one once it was available

One thing I found necessary was a higher sight set just to fit my cheek weld. My 45 SMR just pounded my cheek bone. Just a smidgen higher solved that problem. I suppose I supposed I could have lowered the comb height too.

TDM
On your Woodsrunner are you using just a taller rear or did you also change the front? I have a Woodsrunner I havent shot yet but am thinking about ordering the taller rear just to have.
I'm using the standard Kibler front sight along with the taller rear sight on both the Woodsrunner and SMR.

Although my flint gun isn't a Kibler, I found that with the changes to my aging eyes, A higher rear sight was helpful. Both the rear and front sight are tall, and I also opened up the slot in the rear sight really wide as having white space on both sides of the front sight when looking through the rear sight makes the front sight clearer. If I don't have that white space, the front sight when it settles in the rear sight notch just becomes a blur and I can't tell where the front sight is on the target.
Ohio Rusty ><>
rear sight 2.JPG

I switched out the sights on my colonial to a higher silver front and an aperture from ToW. The factory ones were hitting 6-8" high, swapped them out and they hit perfect without filing.

Part numbers: FS-TC-HB and RS-CA-PEEP-16

Back