• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wedges fall out on GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isiah1103

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Both front and rear wedges have a tendency to fall out on their own from my GPR. I haven't been able to figure out why they don't snap in firmly nor can I find a way to keep them in without falling out. Any ideas and suggestions?

Remove the wedges.

Remove the barrel.

Turn it over - you will see the tennons that the wedges (keys) go through.

Tap them down a bit in the middle with a hammer to tighten up the space between them and the barrel.

Reinstall the barrel and see if they are tight enough - if not, a little bit more of the above.

Instructions are in the owners manual if you have it...

I would put a slight bend in the wedge, not the slot. It's alot easier to replace the wedge if you screw up.

HPIM0787.jpg

On my custom Hawken, I used a punch to mark the front wedge. Keeps from mixing them up.

The back wedge is longer but not by much. I used a ball peen hammer on mine. Put the ball on the slot and tapped it with another hammer. Took a couple of times but didn't want to over do it.

I think the first thing to do is reverse the side that they are inserted. Then try placing them upside-down to see if they're tighter. If neither works then put a small bend in the wedges and that should do it.
I would only ping the slot as a last resort.

Order two PP0804 brass Ted Cash wedges from Dixie Gun Works. They're maybe 3/8" too long, but I installed them LtoR so they stick out some from the right hand side of my GPR.

Patocazador said:
I think the first thing to do is reverse the side that they are inserted. Then try placing them upside-down to see if they're tighter. If neither works then put a small bend in the wedges and that should do it.
See, if ya "ping" the underlug,, then you don't have to do the switch sides, flip over, and bend dance.
Just tap the underlug and it's done, put the wedges in and forget it, no more wondering if the wedge is right side, left side or upside down.

It's what they where meant to do,, wedges are meant to be straight and flat.

necchi said:
Patocazador said:
See, if ya "ping" the underlug,, then you don't have to do the switch sides, flip over, and bend dance.
Just tap the underlug and it's done, put the wedges in and forget it, no more wondering if the wedge is right side, left side or upside down.

It's what they where meant to do,, wedges are meant to be straight and flat.

Agree.

Lyman tells you to do this in the owners manual. They even provide a picture.

We don't have to invent a new method, buy after market parts etc when the mfg is telling you how to solve the issue.

Latest posts

Back