WD-40 Test

Discussion in 'Shooting Accessories' started by Zonie, Jul 12, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Nov 12, 2019 #161

renegadehunter

renegadehunter

renegadehunter

32 Cal.

Part of my summer storage method for my snowmobiles is to spray the exhaust pipes with WD40. I do so to keep them from rusting if any rain gets through the cover and leaks through one of the hood screens. I started doing this after a couple of seasons when I noticed some rust forming on the pipes where the paint had cooked off. I chose WD40 at the time simply because I had some and it is convenient to spray and reach all areas of the pipes. I would have to remove the pipes if I were to have to apply something to a cloth and rub it on. It seems to work pretty well, as I have seen no further rusting since I started applying it. I spray quite a bit on them so that it'll leach down the sides and cover as much of the pipes as possible.
    I'm not promoting WD as a good rust preventative, but it keeps water from sitting on the pipes for any length of time when some gets through. I've never noticed it seeming to be sticky or tacky after sitting all summer, in fact the pipes have a shiny/wet type appearance and look like the WD is still wet on them after storage. The sleds are stored outside with a water resistant cover over them. This year when I get the sleds out I'll be sure to see if the pipes have any kind of a tacky feel to them. Perhaps it is different when a thinner coat is applied to something vs. a bunch in a container?
    I will say that by comparison to Josie wales's post about FF "driving the country girls crazy", when the pipes heat up on the first ride and start to cook off the WD it is definitely not going to attract you any ladies...

2. Nov 13, 2019 #162

Erwan

Erwan

Erwan

40 Cal

This is normal in the sens that the WD40 has been developed for that: spray Atlas missile fuselages to flush out water and condensation, but it was not developed like rust préventive. The WD40 passes under water and moisture and protects the sprayed parts...

WD40 means "Water Displacement, 40th formula" and Norman Larsen gave himself this name à this product (in something like 1950)...

3. Nov 13, 2019 #163

ugly old guy

ugly old guy

ugly old guy

40 cal - b

Stock snomobiles or modified?
    I'm going to guess modified since on every factory stock snowmobile I am aware of, the exhause is not visible unless the hood is raised.

(also, if the exhaust is such that rain has access to it, so does snow during operation/when riding or when parked.)

4. Nov 14, 2019 #164

renegadehunter

renegadehunter

renegadehunter

32 Cal.

The exhaust pipes are under the hood, but the hood has mesh hood screen openings for air flow/cooling. Rain will drip through these screens and sit on the pipes during storage. When riding the mesh is small enough that snow just sits on the screens and won't go through. If any melts or comes through, while in operation the pipes are hot and the water evaporates right away.

5. Nov 19, 2019 #165

GregLaRoche

GregLaRoche

GregLaRoche

36 Cl.

WD40 is a good all round product that can work for a lot jobs, but it’s not the best for any of them. Except maybe keeping moisture off of Atlas rockets. There are a ton of products designed for specific jobs and do better than an all round one.

If you want to get a rusted bolt loose, get a penetrating oil type. If you want to keep something from rusting, get something formulated for that. Graphite for locks. Etc.

A cheap close second to WD40 is paint thinner with 20% motor oil added to it in a spray bottle. It will do almost all WD40 will.

Erwan likes this.
  6. Nov 19, 2019 #166

MrMackc

MrMackc

MrMackc

32 Cal

Maybe WD-40 Is not the very best for a specific job but it is really close to being the best for MANY jobs that you don't have a basket full of special products at hand, Some time it may usually the best product you have around for getting the job done. I have used it to dry out some expensive electronic parts, it does leave a small residue than can be wiped off with everclear grain alcohol,

Restore old ignition distributors and to de-rust parts on old cars I have restored like a 1928 Chevrolet, a couple of 1951 Chevrolet cars, Used it to restore a couple of Imported semi-automatic shotguns, used it to unlock engines that have not been turned over for 60 or 70 years. It isn't as good as PB Blaster on rusted up bolts, but it will do the job and don't smell as bad as PB Blaster.

I have even used it as starting fluid on engines and outboard motors rather than using the ether based stuff. It don't work as well as Hoppe's #9 on cleaning a bore, but it will get the job done If you left your gun cleaning stuff at the house
    It will also work to soften up on old stiff tanned belts, holsters,even harness leather.

And if the Air Force used it by the gallon to keep Atlas Missiles rust and corrosion free, that says a lot for the product.

So if you don't happen to have a dozen or so special products in your kit or tool box, carry some WD-40 in a dual squirt aerosol can.

BEP and hawkeye2 like this.
  7. Nov 20, 2019 #167

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

69 Cal.

It doesn't say "Jack Squat " to me. The second the Air force and Navy tried Fluid -Film they immediately ordered the use of WD-40 cease.

8. Nov 20, 2019 #168

MrMackc

MrMackc

MrMackc

32 Cal

To each his own . . . .

9. Nov 20, 2019 #169

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

69 Cal.

If the military can ditch WD-40 for Fliud film, That says a lot for both products.

In 1994 the Naval Surface Warfare Center, Port Hueneme Division, conducted tests to find a replacement for Class One Ozone Depleting Substances. As a result of the testing conducted by the Naval Aviation Depot in Pensacola, Florida, FLUID FILM was tested against existing MIL-SPECS, MIL-C-16173 and MIL-C-81309 . The results are as follows:”All missile processing facilities are hereby authorized to procure and begin implementing of these products into their missile processing flow. FLUID FILM is the only corrosion preventative compound authorized for use on STANDARD missile.”

WD-40 does not meet military specifications at this time.

Here's a 72 hour astm B117 test of some popular "protectants"

After 52 days, Fluid Film had reached a corrosion percentage of only 5%.

Product 1 Week 2 Weeks 3 Weeks
    Fluid Film AS 0% surface corrosion 1% surface corrosion 1% surface corrosion
    CRC 3-36 90% surface corrosion 95% surface corrosion 100% surface corrosion
    WD-40 40% surface corrosion 55% surface corrosion 85% surface corrosion
    Corrosion X 50% surface corrosion 95% surface corrosion 100% surface corrosion
    LPS-3 5% surface corrosion 10% surface corrosion 40% surface corrosion

But, to each their own, nothing is fool proof.

10. Nov 20, 2019 #170

GregLaRoche

GregLaRoche

GregLaRoche

36 Cl.

Great video.