• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Waxing rifle stocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Screenshot 1.png

Go to a Lowe's store and get some Minwax Special Dark furnature wax. It fills voids , restains worn areas w/ almost no effort. I guess I like "no effort". I'm a lazy old toad. (misspelled). My Dear old Dad , back in the 1950's , liked to make usable deer rifles out of new mil surplus guns he bought for cheap , like under $20 , order a Bishop replacement stock , install it , and finish the wood with Herters wood filler , and Birchwood Casey , or Linspeed linseed oil finish. I had a couple of his rifles , used them many times in wet weather , and watched the oil finish turn white , and drip off the wood. In the late 1980's , I finally found a finish process , that lasts much longer than the old oils did , but still wax it for maintenance. Do what you want , it's all good. Years ago , I researched some really old original gunstock finishes. One was pine tree pitch mixed with turpentine. Another early one was bee's wax mixed with turpentine. Both were verified from research done by someone (RIP) at Colonial Williamsburg rifle shop , and another famous builder of European military guns. I was given the task of stripping some of his creations , and applying a more durable finish. Since the turpentine /wax/pine pitch finishes , were sometimes used on the early frontier , they might have been some of the earliest , but not durable , gunstock finishes . Sorry for going so far afield , but can't resist sharing info... LOL .......oldwood

Many of us learned the hard way by taking out a newly finished rifle and then getting fouling water streaked across it when cleaning.
Those stains would have happened back in the day and they would make a rifle look more authentic IMO.

Are you prepping a rifle to hang on the wall? Are you prepping a gun for a hunt in a salt water marsh? Are you cleaning and finishing a gun after a hunt?
You may have a preferred last step in every case. But there are different cases to begin with. A session at the range is different from a morning of flooded timber ducks. A September dove shoot is different from January geese over decoys. Trying to kick up bedded deer in a December rain is not at all like sniping squirrels in September.
You do not dress the same every morning that you go into the field. Neither should your gun.

Well, I think maybe your're reading too much into the word "finish". Finish maybe in terms of final appearance with respect to color and lustre. Wax isn't really an extra "final" step but just used to enhance the previous step. But oil is never really finished anyway. It needs to be renewed from time to time. Just this morning I spent some time applying another coat of BLO to a milsurp rifle (unmentionable here) made in 1933 because, to me, the wood stock was looking a little "dry". It spruced it up quite a bit. The only "finish" that's really "final" is some kind of polyurethane, and I really don't think you want that kind of finish on any 18th century firearm, do you?
Yes, I can see that. Thanks

I have half a can of Blue Coral Carnauba from my hot rodding days when it was "THE" thing for your car finish. It is tough to put on and harder to buff when dry but boy does it protect. Nowadays I use the ceramic liquid on my cars but for stocks in the rain, carnauba delivers.

Yes, wax can add a little more protection, but I usually don't like how it looks. It has sort of a garish shine in my view, but I'm pretty particular.
Got up to look at a couple flintlocks that live on wall mounts. I use Ren Wax, lightly. I am seeing more of a luster than a shine.
To each his own.

Latest posts

Back