• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wasp Nest

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all! I love wasp nest as wadding for my fowler, but for obvious reasons its trouble to keep it consistently "in stock" Does anyone have any tips for sourcing it? Just walking around the woods in the late fall and winter? Thanks!

Or you can get a hornet nest tag to get one in season. Creep up on one , within 10-15 yards, and shoot! Wear your running shoes…..seriously, if you find a huge hornet nest, they are worth$$ to the right people.

I always keep my eyes open during early season scouting. The bald face hornet makes a big paper nest. They most always make their nest in pine trees. I have found most of mine in white pines.
Just like hunting big game, study the animal you’re looking for. Best of luck

This is ever a place to learn!
I’d never heard of using wasp nest before; we have a small black wasp that makes a paper nest but whose sting is extremely intense, but fortunately the pain only lasts for a fraction of a second.
If I find an abandoned nest I might give it a try……I might.

I use wasp nest too and it’s sometimes hard to find. The waspers here on the farm only make so many nests and I use those up as soon as I can. I like to use paper cartridges for shooting round balls in my smooth bore and wasp nest for shot. If I don’t have any wasp nest I’ll just use some other type of wad like brown paper or felt.

This is ever a place to learn!
I’d never heard of using wasp nest before; we have a small black wasp that makes a paper nest but whose sting is extremely intense, but fortunately the pain only lasts for a fraction of a second.
If I find an abandoned nest I might give it a try……I might.
Every gun has it own specific likes, but I have found wasp nest to be an exceptional wadding material in two different fowlers. The more I think of it the risk of some bee stings may be worth it to be able to have some of this stuff on hand lolol

Years ago, paper wasps built a BIG nest in the ivy running up the stones by my front door, just above my head height. I left them alone, and they never bothered the Family ( or postman or newsboy). Me and my oldest daughter often stood 5 or 6 feet away and watched them. One or two would scout us out, but they seemed to understand that we meant them no harm.
One morning, I came home from work and found the nest destroyed. The temperature had fallen below freezing, and a woodpecker had perched at the bottom of the nest, and ate his way right up through it! The only clue was his distinctive footprints in the remaining bottom of the nest.
Lesson learned: Mr. Woody knew the subfreezing temperature would kill all the wasps but the queen. (She will start a new nest come Spring.)
So, time your nest harvesting accordingly, to avoid painful, possibly fatal, stings. Good hunting.

Richard/Grumpa

Just walking around the woods in the late fall and winter?
I've actually found most "Paper Wasp" nests in residential areas. Don't know why, but they seem to be creatures of the edge. Where buildings are near the outskirts of cities. Under the eves of sheds, pole barns even new built apts in newer developed areas. Usually on the north side or shaded areas because they don't like the temp swings. Walk the edges of wildlife management areas to look for hives in the fall, 10-20ft in,, or around the same distance of fields or swap/lake where "open" changes to woods,,
I think they like what's called a "fly zone"

Back