• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Was Friendship a Bust ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faw3

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Just wondering from people that went I know 2 sets of people that went one a big shop owner, and a shooter with his wife and kids and both said it cost a arm and leg over any time in the past, it was more in line with Disney prices. And after 17 and 23 yrs they wont be back and they have been to every one! Oh ya the people it wasnt 1/2 as full as any other time. Just wondering?? FRED :hatsoff:

I never camp at Friendship just due to the prices.

I can buy enough parts in the sheepsheds to build a muzzleloader for the cost of camping for a weekend.

That is one of the beefs that many have had over the years. One pays the price to join up and then you pay the price again everytime you go to one of their events. Plus the fact that they micro-manage the various rondevous. Money goes back to the main office and then they eek it out wherever they think it should go. Kinda like tax money and the Feds. :shocked2:

what do they get for $$ camping? at OUR range? i understand the price for a rendezvous like the eastern..(actually it's a deal!) but was wonderin what they charge at friendship...not that i'll ever get there.. :(

fw said:
Just wondering from people that went I know 2 sets of people that went one a big shop owner, and a shooter with his wife and kids and both said it cost a arm and leg over any time in the past, it was more in line with Disney prices. And after 17 and 23 yrs they wont be back and they have been to every one! Oh ya the people it wasnt 1/2 as full as any other time. Just wondering?? FRED :hatsoff:

I went and had a great time. You can spend a ton of money if you want, or you can go cheaper. Sometimes there are more people there than othertimes, and it's too soon to report on this week's event, but it's a verified fact that the June shoot was busier by a fair piece than recent shoots.
Caveat: If you're driving a long way to get there at $3 a gallon for gas, yeah, it will be expensive. For shooting, there are a lot of Territorial Shoots to consider.
I'd be interested in corresponding with the four people you mentioned. Could you help me?

I went for 2 days and one night both last year and this year. Mid-week both times. Last year was cold and rainy. This year was pretty nice weather. This year there were lots more people.

I pitched a tent in the NMLRA campground for $10. That ain't too bad a deal if you ask me.

Food will cost ya. Cheaper to bring some with you. Other stuff was cheap at some booths and high at others.

I didn't do any shooting. Just went to pick up a few items, admire a few rifles and have a good time and a good road trip. Mission accomplished.

People are friendly and the country is beautiful. I'm going again next year.

I run the Bill Large match on Wed. We had a good show selling 94 targets. That's up a few from the spring but the weather was a whole bunch better.

The cost issue is interesting to me. If you read about the matches back in 40 or so the NMLRA was charging a dollar. Compare that with gas at .20 or so then & 3.00 now. That would make a target cost 15.00 if we were shooting for Standard Oil.

I can see what I can about that (getting ahold of 3 are no big deal but they have ads in Muzzle Blast and Im sure dont want that blown just yet, they will be shutting down in a few years if not sooner but all 3 live in state or the next so driveing wasnt a problem. But I'll give them a shout 2 are two old they said to do the camping thing anymore after all these years. (mid to late 60s and have been to every one but one the last 20 yrs or so, if they say sales was off and prices up even for parking I got to belive them. Thanks Much, and as said its to soon to be asking. Also they show the day before it starts till the last day so they have long history and insight into what is and isnt over say a 20 year time span. Again thanks much and hope for more imput.( trent how long did you stay and how long have you been going to each one? Thanks) Fred :hatsoff:

Parking was $5. but if you're camping you get to park at your site for no extra charge.

There's a church parking lot just a few blocks away that only asks for voluntary donations. Can't park there on Sunday tho.

If you don't want to camp at the NMLRA campgrounds, there are a couple of others real close. I don't know how much they charge or what they're like...

The fall shoot ain't even over until after this weekend. How can you call it a bust or not before it's even over? :confused:

I went down last Sat. thru Mon. and camped in the truck at a friends site, cost me $5.00 a nite. Was a pretty good crowd on Sat even with the light rain. Sun. and Mon. were nicer, heading back down tomorrow for the day to finish up some shopping, suposed to be a high of 67 tomorow. :thumbsup:

I know when its over Im talking to people by cell phone that are still at it, they sell stuff at it,shoot a few things ect and say the crowds and money isnt anything like in the past, we are talking about people that have been to everyone since the start of the 70s. Fred :hatsoff: ( Oh I just put this up to see what others thought anyway I wont know till the ones that spent a week get on , going just a day or so doesn't really count does it?) Also see post on MLRA West Shoot here.

I wasn't sayin' those people don't know what they're talking about. Wasn't claimin' I have much to compare to either. :v Just sayin' there was still half a week left... Kinda soon to be countin' chickens.

I will say again that the prices seemed very reasonable for camping. If you shopped wisely there were some good deals. Can't say as to shooting, didn't do any.
Going just a day or 2 doesn't count to judge a 9-day crowd, but it sure does to judge prices. IMHO

Right and I didnt take what you wrote wrong just makeing it more clear, I did see on here the one about "whos going to friendship" that the guys are from in state or next door, except Kentuck, even got some guys from Tex going I know of and a reasone I think I havent got answers on yet. :thumbsup: Fred :hatsoff:

HI Fred, I had a great time at Friendship although I was kind of preoccupied with the Board meeting and the Rifle Committee meeting. Didn't shoot real well this time but had a great time inspite of it.

There seemed to be more folks there than were the last September shoot. I was over looking the view from the hill over the campers and there were definitely more campers there than that time last year.

Not sure how they faired with the money part of it but they did get my share I know.

Take care and hope your having some good days,

rabbit03

Howdy Fella's and Ladies,
My wife and I went last Thurs. and Fri. Been a member and shooting BP for over 40 years. I would guess over 50% of the stalls in the sheepshed were empty. Guess they are charging the gun vendors too much for rent? Parked in the club area for $5.00, not bad. They gave me a free ticket to get into the vendor/shooting area.
The fellow at the gate stopped us and asked if I was a member. I said yes and he wanted to see my card. I showed him last years by mistake, he informed me it was expired. I finally found my current one and he read it carefully. Then he said where is hers? I said that she is my wife. He said she must pay, then he reach in my shirt pocket and pull out the free ticket, I was given for parking. He shouldn't have reach into my pocket, I'm not so old I need help. I didn't make a scene, but was upset. Frienship ain't so friendly anymore! IT's all about money now and paying off $1,000,000 Education buildings. Loved the NMLRA for years, now I don't know? :hmm:
:hatsoff: Deacon

fw said:

Appears RUMORS are True....Friendship, and the NMLRA are in the Sinking Mode... :shake:

Well I was hopeing and praying youd shoot a great one and learn them "smug" guys something Rabbit, Ive been in the hospital most the time... anyway if you'll read the letter from below yous from Goodfellow thats the word I got from 4 differenr grps of people that dont know each other, also I noted that in the "Q" "Whos going" it was mostly instate and next of state bur Im sure they come from all over.You'll get them next time. Fred :hatsoff:

This was my first year to go, and was told the turn out was at a record low! I do also know that the flea market area adjacent to the shooting grounds is for sale!

I did however enjoy what I saw there, and picked up a few things! Hopefully it will grow again!

Funny to see a guy dressed like Daniel Boone talking on a cell phone :grin:

I posted in my thread in the gunbuilders forum about my trip. I really enjoyed it. The wealth of information was amazing. I've been before, but this time I went with a mission to get a rifle kit. Which I did from Jim Chambers. Being able to look at everyone's stuff was nice. I'm going to go in the spring and shoot my gun, hopefully. This is the first fall shoot I've been to.

I saw tags on vehicles from canada, alabama, and a big dually pickup truck with California plates!

Seems to me that when organizations try to do too much, they end up money grubbing (money to belong, money to camp, money to shoot, money to park, money to get in, money money money..)start to go down hill quick. I was astonshed that if you were over 16 you had to have your own ADULT membership. $40 to a 16 year old is A LOT. I like the idea of the NMLRA. I'd like to see exactly where all the money does go. When your income starts to shrink, it's time to shrink the budget.

On day in the Summer of 68 while living in Anderson, Indiana. We were out on a Saturday Drive, and were in the area where Friendship is. We drove past Friendship, and it was during one of the National Shoots I assume. We did not stop, and go in but the area looked like the Gate AREA looked like Disneyland on a Busy Day. People were everywhere, and the place was CROWDED to the point of being like the hottest ticket in town. Like I said that was the Summer of 68 when I think Friendship was a hot bet of activity.

Back