• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Was Friendship a Bust ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a call today from one of the gun makers and venders who said he thought the "flea markets (2 of them?) out did them this year like last MOST heard complaint GAS PRICE TO HIGH TO MAKE THE TRIP JUST TO GET GIGGED AGAIN AT ALL THE GATES. Hope you guys keep posting, and thanks. :grin: Fred :hatsoff:

fw said:
Got a call today from one of the gun makers and venders who said he thought the "flea markets (2 of them?) out did them this year like last MOST heard complaint GAS PRICE TO HIGH TO MAKE THE TRIP JUST TO GET GIGGED AGAIN AT ALL THE GATES. Hope you guys keep posting, and thanks. :grin: Fred :hatsoff:

Gas prices were not at any RECORD HIGHS during the September National Shoot. I think what is keeping people away from Friendship, and the NMLRA is Poor Management, Poor quality Magazine, and Prices too High For Camping, and Shooting with NOTHING MORE TOO BE WON THAN a $3.50 Shooting Medal. I have heard the same complains for years about the NMLRA constantly sticking it to the Member and nickel, and dimeing them too death, and returning little of VALUE for Dollar spent. Many of the Trader who use to Stay during the ENTIRE Friendship national shoot now come for the First Weekend, Pack up and go home as the Dollar in Sales does not justify being there for the entire shoot.

Think IMHO the NMLRA could be on it last leg as it has been shall we say not building up it Membership, and many of the Member are approaching a point in life were they are old, and will not be with us much longer. The Youth of today are more in to Sex, Drugs, Rock & Roll, Rap, Video Games, The Internet, and High Tech Entertainment, and most care little about going shooting, or hunting.

I got two step grandson in their early teens, they spend most of their time visiting us with their IPODS in their Ears, or Text Messaging on their Cell phones, and could care less about going shooting.
:bull: :bull: :bull: :bull:

As far as gas prices it was $2.97 a gallon in most of that part of Indiana, cheeper in a few places. I live close, 70 miles one way so my two weekends ran me close to $60.00 just for gas. Hate to think what it gost folks a couple of states away to drive in for the visit! At close to $3. a gallon your going to cut back on your traveling any distance cause it will cost you out the wazoo!

Both of you are just saying what they did, even a close by trader staying for the whole thing has to make money not even break even, seems sales are way off too. Guess we will see. Fred :hatsoff:

Sex, Drugs, Rock & Roll

So nothing has changed in 50 years! LOL

So let me understand, pay to park, pay to enter vendor area,pay to walk around and visit?
16 yr old is not an adult.

What else cost other than camping,shoot fees,eating?
bpb

Having lived 45 min from friendship and now living 5 hours.I can see several reasons for the decline. I camp on the primitive side. The fall shoot is during the first weeks of school, a large portion of people I know who have kids do not come in the fall for this reason and others that live in the area only come down for the weekend because of school. I did not go in the fall (normally there for 3 days in the fall)because for time I would have been there is just cost to much for gas. Last but not least old age, recruitment, distructive opinions, anti-gun, on and on and on. :grin: Hope I will be able to shoot 15 years from now. :(

When walking around Friendship the first weekend of the fall shoot, my age group (20-30) was VERY under rated. I was taught to shoot, throw hawk and knife and rendezvous since before I was ten years old. The boy scouts were there, so something needs to be doen to keep them interested past that time in their life.

I'm a teacher at a rural school in South-Central Ohio. We have around 400 students in grades 9-12. We still take a day off during deer season. I have dreams of starting a muzzle loading club here. I've thought about contacting the NRA to see if they could help. I know several schools throughout the nation have Trap/skeet teams that Benneli has sponsored. So, I'm thinking I may be able to find some corporate sponsors to help start things up. There are a couple of places that we could shoot. The Nation Guard has a very nice rifle range (all the way to 1,000 yards) here in Chillicothe. The school also just purchased 400 acres that would make a nice little primitive range. We could even have a woodswalk. I know there is a lot to consider, especially with insurance and such things. This is still in the "planning things in my head" stage.

One thing I've noticed is that anyone over the age of 16 must have their own membership. At 16, $40 is hard to come by. That's a couple of dates with that girl in keyboarding class.

I also think that the Single Action Shooting Society has really taken a lot of the "re-enactment" shooting crowd. It's seen a lot of the face time out there. The Outdoor Channel has a series of shooting oriented shows on Wednesday nights. The focus of those shows is IDPA, IPSC, SASS, Hunting, and Self Defence shooting. Perhaps the NMLRA could invite one of these shows, like my favorite Shooting USA with Jim Scouten, to the Spring shoot. Emphasis on shooting trap/skeet with an antique flintlock shotgun would fascinate a lot of people.

Inline muzzleloaders are hunting tools. Everyone that I know that owns one has shoot about 6 rounds per year. 5 to make sure it's sighted in, one to shoot a dear. Then they just sit them in the gun cabinet. Personally, I think inlines are the scourge of the muzzleloading hunting season. I wish Ohio as like Pennsylvania that mandates a "primitive" muzzleloader. That would sure spark a lot of people to own traditional style rifles. Perhaps shoot them more.

The Outdoor Channel WAS at the September National Shoot. They filmed a bunch of us, including me. Hopefully, their editing staff won't allow that tape to see the light of day.

When people talk about the "good old days" at the National Shoots, it was the day when Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett were TV shows, and Jeremiah Johnson was a recent movie. It was no wonder that muzzleloading and Mountain Manning were the next big thing.

Well the economy, slump housing sales, and the stock market uncertainty may have caused the September Spring Shoot to not b attend lake the past couple of years.

But the NMLRA Membership is now $40.00/year, and Camping, and Shooting FEES at National Shoots are at an all time high.

So as I have heard for years out WEST, maybe many just said forget the NMLRA because folk found other place, and thing to spend their recreational dollar on.

Apparently the NMLRA is feeling the crunch as the membership is apparently on some kind of big slide according to a letter from the NMLRA Pres. printed in Muzzle Blast.
:nono:

Howdy Folks,
After thinking about the NMLRA for a while, I started to realize this club is still a great one. Hasn't eveything gone up in price? The range itself is growing every year with more shoots, etc. The club cost must have increased, electric, porta potties, water, insurance, maintance, etc. We need an national/international organization to keep an eye on our rights as BP shooters. Most of the people you meet there are super and the people running it, try hard. The Muzzle Blast magazine is still good reading. All in all, I feel it's still worth being a member and attending the two yearly shoots. So save a few bucks to attend, support the club with your memberships, and be thankful it exists.
Deacon :hatsoff:

Deacon Goodfellow said:
We need an national/international organization to keep an eye on our rights as BP shooters.

So you want to explain to me how the NMLRA does that? Because IMHO they do not...

Provide some facts....
:blah:

PennyPincher,
I'm not able to give you exact facts, memory going fast. I remember reading something about NMLRA being represented at Congressional meetings, State levels, etc., whenever BP issues are present. A group/club of thousands is more impressive than individuals contacting our representatives. The NMLRA representatives are active in shoots, displays and conventions overseas with other BP groups. Several foreign countries shooters come to the NMLRA spring and fall shoots.
I need an official representative of the NMLRA to answer this issue with better insight/knowledge than I have.
Finally, about the cost of parking, camping, shooting matches, etc. if we skip a few meals out, movies, baseball/football games,etc. during the year we would have the cash. Bringing your family/kids, friends, neighbors,to the shoots will help bring clubs cost down and support the future of our BP sport!
Just an old member's rambling, don't mean to offend. Shoot straight, tell the truth, as you know it, and praise your maker!
Deacon :hatsoff:

Good posts Deacon! :thumbsup:

The club might even be better if everyone would focus on the good stuff and trying to improve the stuff they don't like...
Lead, follow, or shut up and get out of the way. :hatsoff:

Well can you think of a reason you wouldnt go? :rotf: Thanks much. Fred :hatsoff: in 15yrs then.

Good luck with your school and boy scout idea the NMLRA is doing something about that you should ck with them and send 40 bucks for a answer! :rotf: sorry just had to throw that last one in. I see a lot of pitfalls but a guy I cant remember his name got some UH's from me to do about the same thing so it must work in some places. Fred :hatsoff: I hadnt thought about the SAA bet that is a drain.

Deacon what you say has a lot of truth in it but hard to swallow when your from IND and say save a few bucks...when your lets say Texas away about 500 miles X gas it was 267 to 293 from what I heard, and you got dad a member so the wife and kids over 16 pay up 40 each to get in :shake: nah it aint worth it. Something has gone wrong, about 98 or so all the old timers started getting out in droves, and its someting that happened with the NMLRA cause no one wants to even talk about who and what it was , and I mean Life members that have gone for 30 yrs or more that still go to a lot of other places, no its something wrong with who is running the NMLRA from what rabbit said I can see how that grp could run a bunch of people off easy. Fred :hatsoff:

rabbit print up what you want on what each of us should send and at least we can help you in your cause :v for Victory Fred :hatsoff:

Deacon Goodfellow said:
PennyPincher,
I'm not able to give you exact facts, memory going fast. I remember reading something about NMLRA being represented at Congressional meetings, State levels, etc., whenever BP issues are present.

They may be Present but they do not Lobby, and Are NOT Politically Active like the NRA is because they are for TAX Purposes, a non profit Education Organization. Like a 503 C if I recall the designation. :nono:

Back