• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

War films set in the (pre-Revolution) 18th century?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aside from Last of the Mohicans, I've not found any films centered around the military conflicts of the 1700s prior to the American Revolution. I'd think that conflicts like the French-and-Indian War, the War of Spanish Succession, or the Jacobite Rebellions would provide plenty of material for a war film ... does anyone have something to recommend?
Drums Along the Mohawk

Thanks folks for the suggestions. Haven't heard of most of these. Seems most of them were made around the 1940s/50s. I wonder why there seems to have been little interest in this period among filmmakers since then.

Thanks folks for the suggestions. Haven't heard of most of these. Seems most of them were made around the 1940s/50s. I wonder why there seems to have been little interest in this period among filmmakers since then.
Because they don’t fit the current narrative.

I certainly wouldn't want one to be made at this current time, there'd definitely be some heavy-handed agenda inserted into the plot. However, there was a period back around the 1990s and early 2000s when some decent historical films were being made without the excessive political/social agendas of our current decade. I'm thinking for example of films like "Master and Commander", "Gettysburg", and "Gods and Generals". This was also when "Last of the Mohicans" was made, but that seems to be the one and only film from that period of film-making that I can think of which focused on 18th-century wars outside the American Revolution.

My point is, it just seems odd that there were all these films folks have mentioned in this thread from the 1940s-50s, and then practically nothing until one film (Last of the Mohicans) in the 1990s, and then again nothing since then.

Last edited:
It's not about military conflict but I think you'd enjoy "Black Robe." It follows a Jesuit priest as he leaves Montreal and goes into the bush with his Native guides. Well done and follows reports from the Jesuit Relations.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

I don’t think that’s true across the board. Although we have the PC Hollywood problem we have large segments of history ignored. Rome fell not much till the Vikings then it’s Henry the eighth, pilgrims then the revolution
Half American history section in your local library will be the WBTS, the other half WW2 and civi rights Damn little on Spanish American, Mexican American or war of 1812. A tiny bit on F and I, almost nothing on 1650-1750.
Thirty years war, war of Austrian or Spanish succession, much of the Hundred Years’ War, the Hanseatic league, you may not even find one book on the subject
Even American history is choppy. Lots of the old west, 1865- 90, but how much in post war east?
Hollywood has an agenda, that’s lately pretty dark, but even before that history of so much of our past failed to get a spark of interest

The Master of Ballantrae (1953) with Erol Flynn, very loosely adapted around the third Scottish Uprising of 1745, but no battle scenes. The more recent remake is below:

The Unconquered (1947) with Gary Cooper, set at the time of the Battle of Bushy Run and the relief of Fort Pitt in 1763, though hardly historically accurate. Still if one has a drop of Scottish Blood, it will get your blood flowing.

"It may be the wind, it may be my wishes, but it sounds like the Pipes of Heaven itself."

Scots wha hae !!

Gus

Last edited:
No one said Washington's Armor yet? Haven't seen it, doubt it's good, but it fits the criteria.

Back