• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

War films set in the (pre-Revolution) 18th century?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 56333

40 Cal
Reaction score
Aside from Last of the Mohicans, I've not found any films centered around the military conflicts of the 1700s prior to the American Revolution. I'd think that conflicts like the French-and-Indian War, the War of Spanish Succession, or the Jacobite Rebellions would provide plenty of material for a war film ... does anyone have something to recommend?

Last edited:
If you're not stuck on N. America, there are quite a few movies about the English Civil Wars.
By The Sword Divided was a BBC series in the 80's I remember.
Bit earlier than what I was looking for, but the ECW is still an interesting period, so I might take a look. Thanks.
Brave Heart.
Someone clearly doesn't understand the meaning of "18th century" ;)

Disney did a movie called theScarecrow of some English marsh. Rebellion against abuses of the crown before the revolution. Been several movies on the English civil war. A real good Dutch movie on the second Anglo Dutch war, but it’s subtitled. Kidnapped by Stevenson been made in to several movies

Disney did a movie called theScarecrow of some English marsh. Rebellion against abuses of the crown before the revolution. Been several movies on the English civil war. A real good Dutch movie on the second Anglo Dutch war, but it’s subtitled. Kidnapped by Stevenson been made in to several movies

I'd forgotten about the Kidnapped adaptations. Not a war film but still good, at least the one I saw (think it was made some time in the 60s).

Last edited:
I'm honestly a bit disappointed that the French-and-Indian War doesn't seem to have received much attention in film. In many ways it was the war that set the stage for the American Revolution, and I think is an important piece of not just American but also Canadian history (after all, it's the reason Quebec is no longer part of France, so the consequences of that war are still being felt plainly today).

What ever film you choose to watch just remember these were made for entertainment and are not documentaries and not one is completely historically accurate .
For example Hello is first recorded in the early 1800s, but was originally used to attract attention or express surprise (“Well, hello! What do we have here?”). But the true breakthrough for this now-common word was when it was employed as the way to answer the just invented telephone.

The last valley. About the 30 years war. Something diffrent. I liked it. Sorry NOT 18th Century.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230211_194257_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20230211_194257_Google.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 0
DRums along the Mohawk is a great movie...I particularly love that it is in my back yard. The Mohawk Valley/ upstate NY region is a treasure trove of history and sites. I sometimes am jealous of what seems like all the great reenactor gatherings, shows in PA Ohio, Kentuc, etc. and the lack in this area, which is so rich in history.

Back