• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wanting to start camping at rendezvous

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chevythunderman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What are everyone's recommendations on a first tent for camping at a vous? I'm looking at either a bakers tent or wall tent. I want a awning also.

What are some other must haves for a first timer?

And lastly is there any used tents for sale?

I'd go with a wall tent you'll have more usable floor space. It's just me camping I have one of Panther's small wall tents 8X10x7 with 3ft wall height with 10x16 fly. Allows me to keep most of my stuff in side out of sight.

Of the 2 choices you mentioned I'd go with the wall tent. Wall tents are just more all-around useful. Depending on your time period, a Baker tent may not be allowed at some events.

Things to consider when shopping for a tent are;
Does it fit your time period?
How much room will you need? How many people and their gear?
How much $ can you spend?
How much privacy do you need?
How easy is the set-up?
Will it and the poles fit in your vehicle?
Will you need to heat it?

Probably some important stuff slipped my mind.
I camp in an open-faced lean-to 12x12 tarp. :idunno:

What's the best place to get a wall tent for pre 1840 rendezvous. I've looked on crazy crow and tow. Where else is a good place. I want to start camping at vous around April so thinking I need to get my act together.

Tentsmiths has a very informative website and makes a very high quality tent. One thing not yet mentioned is that if your better half is going to come along, having enough headroom to easily dress while standing will make her (and thus your) life easier. Even if acceptance at juried events is not important to you, a conforming tent will be easier to sell or trade if you decide to change to another tent in the future. Re used tents, Smoke & Fire sometimes has listings. You may also find a used tent at an event.

Track just drop ship's from RK,(and takes a mark-up) http://www.rklodges.com/
I have purchased 3 of their tents and 2 awnings.
I have friends that have RK tents that are 25yrs old and still in good shape.
But that's all about proper care really.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. A wall tent is about as good as it gets for a family.

The first accessory that you want to get is a good fly. You'll find that you sleep, change clothes, etc. in the tent, but that you'll live under the canopy. At many rendezvous sites, you'll be out in the sun, and the shade of a fly will be most welcome, since the tent will be too warm to spend much time in. Cooking and eating is much easier under a fly during the inevitable rainstorm.

Also, spring for the flameproof canvas, even if your state doesn't require it. Ever see a sheet of paper burn when you hold it by one corner and light a bottom corner? That's what the fly that I saw burn reminded me of.

If it were just you your best bet would be a wedge. Its got more then enough room for 1 person. There are some big wedges but are less then practical for I person to set up. Even a small wall tent can be a pain to set up by yourself. People will help you but I try not to count on it.
A 12 foot tipi will sleep three ok, warm in the winter and can be set up by one person with out trouble. It is a pain to transport. A 12 foot pyramid is easy to transport, easy to set up, roomy and can be fit for a stove.
Wedges are most hc, we know they went to rendezvous. Tipis were at voo, but were used by Indians. We cant prove wall and pyramids were invented yet.
Many eastern events wont let you have a tipi, and some western events frown on pyramids,and bakers, that also cant get in to some eastern events.
Panther primitives and tent smith offers a lot of info PP makes tents from Roman and Viking times to the second world war.
I don't know how old your son is but for the price of a wall tent get 2 wedges, if you and your son or you and your wife you could camp in one wedge, if all three of you your son could have his own room, with a common space between the two tents. And wedges are hc for the whole of European American history.

My observations of tents so far... A pain, I'm at at rendezvous for relaxation and fun. The moment a 7 pole tent, canvas, stakes and such are introduced my attitude changes and something fun now becomes a chore. My preferred method... ground tarp and my wool blankets by the fire. Obviously environmental factors are ever changing and that's why I always have my tent tarp shelter accessible. Very easy to set up and is only limited by your imagination concerning setup.

Now since you mentioned the family, I agree with tenngun on the wedge. Very well documented and they are offered in a variety of sizes. The Mrs. would probably be pleased with one.

Unfortunately my wife won't be caught dead without a camper... When we camp with the extended family, I again sleep with my ground cloth and blankets by the fire. For me personally there's something about the warm crackling glow of the fire and stars at night. :thumbsup:

I think you're talking something like a wall tent with 11' 03" x 11'03" x 8' ridge offered by somebody like tentsmiths. Smaller versions are more like military or Boy Scout tents meant for two cots and a little bit of gear. While not being too expensive in a basic model, you have to provide the side supports to really make them work, plus the uprights and ridge along with stakes. Add a floor, add some cash, add a place to put in a tent heater/stove add some cash, get an awning add some cash and some more poles and lines and stakes.
But..., they are nice when set up.

I'm thinking of getting something more historic, and easier to transport and set up, but not nearly as efficient as a wall tent. The next size up from the smallest Medieval Double Belled Tent, which is also a French Double Bell tent, used from the Renaissance up through the American Civil War. It will cost about the same as the walled tent when all the extras are added but not be as useful when it comes to space covered by canvas. Less poles and stakes and lines though.

LD

Careful, it's very easy to go from something like this...
P8132193.jpg

to something like this...
005E250E-BA65-4997-8304-E7599CA58979.jpg

That's going from a 6'x6'x6' wedge that took me 5 min by myself to put up to a 20'x20' marquee that takes 3 hours to set up camp fully, and the same amount of time to pack up. Of course, that's with the family, 2 beds, kitchen set-up, dining room table, etc., but as the family grows, if you want to involve them, you pay a price in time.

Is it worth it? Well, yes, it is for me. The kids have a blast, and they talk about the special time they have. That alone makes it worth it.

We want to be hc, but this is our century, and we cant escape it. A family requires today a lot more then one person, and even more then a family required back then, and yes its worth it.

The fairer sex needs more than the lone wolf as well. Being able to stand fully upright while dressing, AND not having one's head hit the ridge pole OR the sides of the peak..., is important to them.

I confess that my possible new tent (possible as the car that needs to get me there I have found needs work = to the cost of said new-tent) is merely for more comfort. My pair of wedge tents and tiny fly having sufficed so far quite well.

LD

Everyone has their preference. I used a diamond for a long time but it has it's limitations. Later 'graduated' to a pyramid/one pole style and used for 20 years then sold. There is much debate about 'authenticity' for those. Nobody ever shot me for using mine. And Leonardo used a pole to hold up a hide for a shelter in the Revenant movie. So it has to be 'authentic'. Right? :wink:
But, the best advice you can get would be at a ronny. Go on visitors day and walk around. Look at the lodges and ask questions. If the distaff side will be doing ronny with you, she MUST go also and be a part of the decision making process. And, as mentioned, the type of tin mule you use is a factor. e.g. Ye ain't gonna haul 20' lodge poles with a Mini Cooper. And even a pick up might need special built carriers for them.

Big tents are great for Families, vendors, people that don't have to travel very far...etc..
But a small tent will allow you more versatility...You can always augment your set-up with tarps....

I would never consider buying something unless I first had the chance to set it up and tear it down....IN THE RAIN preferably....and don't forget about what you are going to do with that wet tent when you get home....

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for the responses! I feel like I might look at the wedge/aframe tent that rk lodges sells. I don't want to spend a ton of money on a tent that I'm only going to use a couple times a year and more than likely be the only one there to set it up.

Now with that decision being made what are the options as to bedding. As with a bad back sleeping on the ground is not a good viable option. Were cots hc? And if so which ones are considered pc?

And what are some other things that are deemed a necessity? Or what are the first things that a first timer at a rendezvous would absolutely need to have with them. Keeping in mind I will be in a small suv or short bed truck keeping space in mind!

Back