• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Photos from "Desert Expedition 1864"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_cowpoke

32 Cal
Reaction score
Attached here are some nice photos from my most recent 1800s camp. My best mate and I drove out 5 hours to the desert at a spot his grandpa has been going to since probably the 60s to have ourselves a good ol time. We used an A frame tent lent to us by his grandfather for shelter which can be seen in this photo below...if you zoom in or squint real hard haha
20230620_192900.jpg

We hiked around to a hill just behind our oasis to practice our aim on some unsuspecting bandits (small rocks). Here's a cool photo my pal got of me atop this hill.
IMG_2940.jpg
Just hardly visible behind my arm is the shoulder stock on my navy. For those who've seen my previous post regarding it, I'm happy you're here to see that little carbine travel across the US!

During our second day there, we went east of our camp into the wastes to see what we could find. Amongst old rusted cans and old...mill? Mining? Old equipment we found a compass of sorts made of rocks. Oh we also found a soon to be hatband slithering about too 😉
IMG_3103.jpg

Last photo for tonight's post on this is just to showcase the navy.
20230620_120636.jpg

Soon enough I should have some slo mo footage from my friend's phone and I'll make another showcase of the navy in action. Lots more happened that I haven't the time to show and discuss in this thread but all in all, we had a great time out there. If you've read this fat, thank you for your interest! I'd love to hear about your travels, camps, and fond memories with friends. As always my black powder kinfolk, keep yer powder dry and..

Happy trails,
-Poke

Very nice! Just be careful about putting your hands in front of the cylinder! A chain ignition could horribly maim your hand! This is why that particular setup never really adopted!
Yes! I take all the precautions necessary to avoid chainfires. I've got slix shot cones installed, I use oversized balls to shave a ring, and just to ensure I don't damage my piece or anything else, I make my own lubricating composition to apply over the chamber mouths. And of course I never place my hand in front! Lots of fun shooting it safely.

I was unaware, if you've any more information I'd be happy to hear about it. Old native legends speak of 8 foot tall red headed cannibals in the area
Look up Indian prayer wheel. don't know anything about 8 ft. cannibals though. Northeastern Wyoming there is a large site that is still active. I hunt Wyoming a lot and have not had the chance to visit it, going out this year again if we tag out early will make a trip there and leave an offering. If we don't get there this year, I will take my wife out that way just to pay a tribute.

If you go back SUGGESTION make a square cloth 5 in square red cloth put a bit of tobacco in it tie it up in a bundle, hold it in front of you face the four cardinal directions and leave the bundle there, perhaps the 8 ft red headed cannibals will leave you alone.
What's that all about? I've never heard of this before.

What's that all about? I've never heard of this before.
It's an offering to those who have went ahead of you, and to the native beliefs that made it. These are sacred sites and should approached with respect. The offering is a sign of your said cooperation with those beliefs. Do some research on these there's all kind of information out there. That circle you found is hundreds of years old if not thousands.

Attached here are some nice photos from my most recent 1800s camp. My best mate and I drove out 5 hours to the desert at a spot his grandpa has been going to since probably the 60s to have ourselves a good ol time. We used an A frame tent lent to us by his grandfather for shelter which can be seen in this photo below...if you zoom in or squint real hard hahaView attachment 231084
We hiked around to a hill just behind our oasis to practice our aim on some unsuspecting bandits (small rocks). Here's a cool photo my pal got of me atop this hill. View attachment 231083Just hardly visible behind my arm is the shoulder stock on my navy. For those who've seen my previous post regarding it, I'm happy you're here to see that little carbine travel across the US!

During our second day there, we went east of our camp into the wastes to see what we could find. Amongst old rusted cans and old...mill? Mining? Old equipment we found a compass of sorts made of rocks. Oh we also found a soon to be hatband slithering about too 😉 View attachment 231092
Last photo for tonight's post on this is just to showcase the navy. View attachment 231093
Soon enough I should have some slo mo footage from my friend's phone and I'll make another showcase of the navy in action. Lots more happened that I haven't the time to show and discuss in this thread but all in all, we had a great time out there. If you've read this fat, thank you for your interest! I'd love to hear about your travels, camps, and fond memories with friends. As always my black powder kinfolk, keep yer powder dry and..

Happy trails,
-Poke
Great photos!

It's an offering to those who have went ahead of you, and to the native beliefs that made it. These are sacred sites and should approached with respect. The offering is a sign of your said cooperation with those beliefs. Do some research on these there's all kind of information out there. That circle you found is hundreds of years old if not thousands.
Can you point me in a direction to start me off on researching this?

I'll make another showcase of the navy in action. Lots more happened that I haven't the time to show and discuss in this thread but all in all, we had a great time out there. If you've read this fat, thank you for your interest! I'd love to hear about your travels, camps, and fond memories with friends. As always my black powder kinfolk, keep yer powder dry and..

Happy trails,
-Poke
Great contribution, thanks.
Where did you get that duster and who made it?

As I said in an earlier reply do a search for Native American prayer, healing circles there's a lot of information on them. There uses and symbolism.

Back