• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wanting to start camping at rendezvous

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many people use cots, drape a blanket over it to hide it or keep your tent closed.

what a person starts with is up to them and how comfortable you want to be, but some things to consider are:
Lantern
Table
chair
eating and cooking utensils
Ax or hatchet
shovel
water container
basin
fire grate or pot hanger.
None of the above items are "necessary" everyone defines their own comfort level.

I expect other will chime in with good suggestions...

Cots can be period correct but as with tents, not just any will be. You might enjoy looking at Dick Toone's website: www.livinghistoryshop.com for a great selection of period camp gear. He makes wonderful things but few can afford to equip such a camp. The good news is that a modern folding cot hidden under a correct looking blanket will be accepted at almost any event. Rondys typically have very relaxed standards and even juried events normally allow for hiding non pc items. By allowing the blanket to hang over the cot till it all but touches the ground, you a) hide the offending aluminum cot legs and b) create a hiding place for a cooler and perhaps a plastic tub holding a change of clothes should you get soaked in a downpour.

Last edited by a moderator:
When it's one guy it's easy to cook hc with out an ice box. A lot of recirpies are avalibale for historic food. Wifes often show up because they come with her husband. Women can get very hc but often start early on for the family instead of her first interest. So you have to make a lot of comfort changes until she gets in to it. Kids too have to have fun or they get turned off to it. So a bowl of pea soup dried onion and dry smoked bacon and ships bread may turn them off. Room temp water or coffee likewise might be rejected. You can make a lot of good old style dishes but try them at home first, and make sure the family likes them.

i have had a baker, a tipi and several wedges. the wedge was and still is by far my favorite. i have had about every size and currently have a 12x12 bell back. i even had a 12x24 made for me years ago and boy was it roomy! i would highly suggest getting the bell back if money permits, it really adds alot of extra room. i would also get a smoke hole, i case you ever want to add a stove. and like many other folks have said, a fly will give you alot of space outside for not much extra money. except for the 12x24, all of mine have come for RK lodge, great people to work with. good luck!

colorado clyde said:
Big tents are great for Families, vendors, people that don't have to travel very far...etc..
But a small tent will allow you more versatility...You can always augment your set-up with tarps....

I would never consider buying something unless I first had the chance to set it up and tear it down....IN THE RAIN preferably....and don't forget about what you are going to do with that wet tent when you get home....

All true. My 12x12 one pole did me fine when I was alone. With wife along things got crowded. Easy to set up alone anytime.
As for wet. :shocked2: If your tent is even a tiny bit damp it should be set up in the yard at home and stay there until bone dry. I mean dry-dry-dry. Any moisture in it when put away will mean the end of your tent, fer certain,fer sure. DAMHIK. :redface:

My best recommendation;
9x9 bell back A-frame and the largest Awning you can afford from RK Lodge.
The tent is the bedroom, the awning is the living room/kitchen where cooking, relaxing and entertainment happens.
What's inside the tent is private and out of sight, so modern cot's and sleeping bags are used a lot as well as all your street cloths, gun cases, cell phones, flashlights, etc,,,
A modern cooler can be kept inside or outside if covered in canvas.
Water is a big deal. Usually supplied in camp but may contain minerals or bacteria your not used to and can upset your digestion. So I bring a 5gal plastic water container from home for drinking/cooking and only use camp water for washing.

Canvas; 3 grades right(?)
Water proof; The basic, and Ok if your only going to do 2-3 short weekend events a year
Sun Forger; The most recommended. It has a UV inhibitor in the fabric,, this is the stuff they make boat covers out of and can sit in the sun daily for years without damage. Great stuff, but can be over kill for just light use. My big awning and 3 tents are Sun forger. I have another awning that's plain water proof I've used for 5yrs now and I can tell no difference in the wear or color.
Flame Retardant; Most expensive and only needed where the "state" requires it. I think it's only Cali and NY (go figure). I have never seen "Tent Cop's" checking tags, of course we're not a required state.
I have seen 2 tent fires, both simple untended neglect/carelessness,, neither burst into flame and where put out before the tent was totaled.
Because of this I now carry a modern fire extinguisher and keep it handy.

Yes, used tents are out there, it's the shipping that can be the killer. They're folded up nice and tight when bought new, but it seems you can never get'm back like that,:haha:
There's a big market and turn over at most local vous`, put the word out in the right crowd and you might find one or sell yours.
Tents that are properly cared for, kept clean of mud and packed away dry, can and do retain a high resale value,, so most your investment can be recovered if you upgrade or decide to bail,,

Great post Necchi.......

Only thing would add would be a stove pipe insert...Spring and fall are beautiful times to camp...but if it rains a hot tent sure is nice to have.

Water is a big deal. Usually supplied in camp but may contain minerals or bacteria your not used to and can upset your digestion. So I bring a 5gal plastic water container from home for drinking/cooking and only use camp water for washing.
Clean water is very important....one year at rendezvous it was 100 degrees in the shade...I got sick...I think it was my water barrel that did me in....I should have sanitized it but didn't. :doh:

You can't have enough water. I have three 5 gallon polar bottles. I clean them before I fill them. I bring at least 10 gallons for a weekend. I have 15 for longer and ration for what I use it for. You can empty bottles to take them home but can't fill 'em with what your bodies system is used to if you run out. Most important is what you'll drink, it makes or breaks you. I bring my drinking water, and food prep water to cook and eat (stews, soups, boil food in). I can boil the bad out for cleaning my utensils and my body, but not my teeth; That's drink water. I hope you all understand what I'm saying. Take bad water into you body and you spend a lot of misery time in the plastic hooter box. "Shade in the hot weather and heat in the cold, anything else quickly gets old." Comfort makes for enjoyment. I do juried and battle events and that is strict to a point. The PC/HC is what we strive to show but do what is currently PC (Politically Correct),if not, the current LEO will have jurisdiction over you. You have to remember you live in today and play at the past. It's kinda like video games. You can blow things up, kill people, but not in reality. That's why battle events have safety reviews and inspections. If you are out of line, you are out and maybe for a long time. Most rendezvous will give you a rules sheet and they'll try to help you if you ask for help up front and let them know you're a pilgrim. Folks at rondy are more than willing to help, but YOU need to ask about what you you want to know.

necchi said:
My best recommendation;
Flame Retardant; Most expensive and only needed where the "state" requires it. I think it's only Cali and NY (go figure). I have never seen "Tent Cop's" checking tags, of course we're not a required state.
I have seen 2 tent fires, both simple untended neglect/carelessness,, neither burst into flame and where put out before the tent was totaled.
Because of this I now carry a modern fire extinguisher and keep it handy.

I saw a regular canvas fly catch fire once.

Ever hold a sheet of paper by one corner and then light the lower corner? That's how this canvas burned, and just about as quickly. It was half-consumed before anyone could move.

All my canvas is flameproof even though I don't live in a state that requires it.

this was my first camp when i started going again after a 10 year break. i hadn't gotten my gear dug out yet.
IMAG0543.jpg

I think I'm going to order me a rk common a-frame. I'm going to get it in the 9' size. I'm assuming its kinda like a shop at your house no matter how big you build/get it its always never big enough. But you have to start somewhere. Does anyone know how long it takes to receive these once you order them? I don't have all my funds together yet so I don't want to call and bug them anymore than I have too!

Couple days, they ship Brown truck, your probably going to be told the typical 7-10 days but you'll get it sooner then that. I'm pretty sure they'll have a few of the A-frames made as stock ready to ship.

I have 2 Panthers, a 12x15 marquee and a 15x15 diamond/canopy.

Very good quality.

Time to find a place to use them.

I agree about Panther's quality. Can't go wrong with them. I've had the traders tent, sold it when I switched primary time periods and currently have a wall and two different bell-back wedges.

Although I've also gotten drunk with the owner of Panther. Not that it really matters to the topic. But they're very good folk.

Calum

Panther is top notch and my service from them has been very good. Their product is the best. Pleased don't think I'm knocking them in any way when I say this. Tent smiths and RK also turn out very good product and good service. Shop around a bit. I would highly recommend any of those three.

I really like the wedge/a-frame from jas and townsend for there pole setup but the price from rk lodges is hard to beat. When your limited on vehicles to go to rondy's you have to be aware of what your packing.....

'afternoon,

You can get (or make) the sleeves for the sectional poles. I'm having trouble pasting in a screen snip, but if you go to Panther's catalog http://www.pantherprimitives.com/, pg 11 they sell "just" the sleeves. If you have some tin working skills, you could make a set, probably cheaper. Other places probably also sell just the sleeve...

But yes, that is a huge convenience factor. :)

Calum

Anybody ever dealt with a company by the name cresent city sutlers? They have a a-frame/wedge for like $200 with a sod cloth. Just curious what kind of quality they are.

Dude,, ya get what ya pay for. Just my experience,, with something that can turn into a 25yr investment,, saving $100 up front = $4 a year.

Many of us have a favorite for our own reasons,, but you have 2-3 outfit's that have been recommended more then once.
I'm not saying a new company can't come in and make a great product,, but why is it low-ball $$?

Anybody ever dealt with a company by the name cresent city sutlers?

Never heard of them before....they have a nice website but some "red flags" go up immediately...

Red flag #1. No email address....

Red flag #2. Business name on building in photo does not match that on the website.

Red flag #3. wedge tent has half the stake tie downs as a RK tent does.....

Just a few eyebrow raisers....

Go to a big rendezvous and look at all the different tents and ask who they are made by.....

They are not all created equal....some look very crappy when set up.....

Back