• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Want to start looking into making my equipment. Where’s a good place to start?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teliliad

36 Cl.
Reaction score
So I want to make my own bags and powder horn and stuff. Where’s a good place to start looking at tools, reading material, and supplies and such? I definitely want to do my research before I invest. But I also want my stuff to have some appearance of authenticity.

Keep it simple...the old mountain men didnt have much to start with. A good awl is essential, some good heavy leatherworking needles and appropriate thread, leather punch...
I used an Exacto knife alot. Short starters, ball boards, primer holders, ball bags, flint wallets there are a zillion fun quick easy projects to start with. Find out if there is a Tandy Leather shop near you. Remember, most of this stuff was home made , simple and no rules for what it had to be...just had to do its job.

Keep it simple...the old mountain men didnt have much to start with. A good awl is essential, some good heavy leatherworking needles and appropriate thread, leather punch...
I used an Exacto knife alot. Short starters, ball boards, primer holders, ball bags, flint wallets there are a zillion fun quick easy projects to start with. Find out if there is a Tandy Leather shop near you. Remember, most of this stuff was home made , simple and no rules for what it had to be...just had to do its job.

So what would be a good piece to start with? I’m thinking about a powder horn cause I’ve made a bull horn rack for a friend before, so I know a little bit about working with the horns. I also made a leather knife pouch in the scouts when I was like eight. Wish I still had it.

Horns are a fun project. Lots of stuff on line about making them...remember...you cant do it wrong. I made a '" possibles bag " early on. It was easier than I anticipated. Same thing, lots on line. I made a pattern out of paper to get it together in my head, and went from there. The leather makes it a bit more expensive a project, but I bought a couple deer hides at a garage sale for five bucks apiece. A stitching awl is very helpful too. Look online for knife kits. Building up your own knife from a blank blade is a quick and fun project, then you can make your sheath for it. Dont be intimidated...most all of these projects are quite easy, and require minimal tools. I got better with my horns buildli

Horns are a fun project. Lots of stuff on line about making them...remember...you cant do it wrong. I made a '" possibles bag " early on. It was easier than I anticipated. Same thing, lots on line. I made a pattern out of paper to get it together in my head, and went from there. The leather makes it a bit more expensive a project, but I bought a couple deer hides at a garage sale for five bucks apiece. A stitching awl is very helpful too. Look online for knife kits. Building up your own knife from a blank blade is a quick and fun project, then you can make your sheath for it. Dont be intimidated...most all of these projects are quite easy, and require minimal tools. I got better with my horns buildli
Believe me, I’m not intimidated. I’ve built AR-15s, I’ve made bull horn racks, I do my own auto mechanics for cars and motorcycles, I’ve made my own custom bike parts, I’ve carved electric guitars and I’ve repaired wood furniture and gunstocks… I’m actually thinking about tackling something rather ornate on my first go with this horn. That said I do want to approach this as a pupil. I’m not trying to come across as all knowing. I’ve just done so much DIY stuff that I’m not scared to try something new or to be bold and over reaching on my first attempt. As ornate as I try to make it I may end up messing it all to heck and that’s ok. Honestly, I’m afraid of success more than I am failure, lol. All I can do is research, ask questions, and plan and take my time and hope I don’t make an ever loving fool of myself.

Last edited:
I buy a lot of equipment, books, tools, muzzleloaders and muzzleloader parts from the online auction known as www.hibid.com You can search the area near you and bid on items accordingly.

If your already working on stuff then you know the value of good tools. I would rather have a quality made used tool than a new mediocre tool. My wood chisels, files, vises and some power equipment for the most part came from www.hibid.com

Examples of stuff you may be looking to buy.

Wilton Wood Vise $33

img (2) (6).jpeg

Arbor Press $18

20230424_183148.jpg

Leather workers vise $30-$35 (Don't remember)

20230424_183212.jpg

So what would be a good piece to start with? I’m thinking about a powder horn cause I’ve made a bull horn rack for a friend before, so I know a little bit about working with the horns. I also made a leather knife pouch in the scouts when I was like eight. Wish I still had it.
I bought a book on eBay called Making Powder Horns. Or something like that. Covers all the basics plus some fancier techniques. Also there are several good YouTube videos about horn making. A couple years ago Nathan Jefferies on YT did a couple videos showing how to make a basic horn. Might be worth looking at.

Get the Crazy Crow paper catalog. It's great reading while sitting on the throne, as well. Another catalog is the Log Cabin m/l Shop. They have a large selection of most anything concerning Black powder sports. They are friendly to newbee's w/ questions. I've dealt w/them since 1970 , good folks.

I bought a book on eBay called Making Powder Horns. Or something like that. Covers all the basics plus some fancier techniques. Also there are several good YouTube videos about horn making. A couple years ago Nathan Jefferies on YT did a couple videos showing how to make a basic horn. Might be worth looking at.
Correction: Nathan Jeffery is the name of that YouTube channel. Spelled the way I originally said it gets you a real estate guy.

Back