• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Waited all year to hunt in the snow...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And now I'm too tired to go out. Been out running the snowblower all morning, and shoveling the walks. Now I'm too tired to go out. We got our first nice snowfall in several years, and I'm feeling it. We've got more predicted on Friday night, so hopefully I'll be able to get out on Saturday.
Oh man, best get rested up for this weekend.

I Miss my teenage son alot in snow. He Hated it but he was right there with me. Now I have a new blower. Should jinx any much needed snow huh?

Quick story, true. I hunted in a few inches of snow for archery deer once when I was about 19. Me and best buddy were tracking a HUGE buck all morning and getting closer and closer. We found steaming pee and nocked up. A Few more steps and there it was! A HUGE Navajo type sheep! They look just like big ol buck tracks. He was about 300 lbs. So.... we headed back. Topped new ridge and could see about 250 yards down a rocky bare hill a small buck stuck in a barbed wire fence! Whom soever got there first wins! Race was on. Got within bow range to find the coyote eaten carcass blowing gently which looked just like the poor ol deer jumping against the fence. BAD DAY? Yea, but I'd love to do it again! OH Yea, almost forgot the icing on the cake. ROUGH road and on the way back his spare tire bounced into his bow mounted cover and a broad head sliced the side wall!

I love hunting in cold and snow.

Jan/Feb small game is a favorite as is late season deer. Almost no one is out...a few antler hunters. It's quiet and peaceful. Use snow to wash out carcasses in the field. No ticks or mosquitoes.

Of course when it comes to cold & snow, one has to take the good:

IMG_20240116_203443.jpg

20210110_161221.jpg

2023-01-23_10-09-03.jpg

With the bad!

20190224_123133.jpg

I love hunting in cold and snow.

Jan/Feb small game is a favorite as is late season deer. Almost no one is out...a few antler hunters. It's quiet and peaceful. Use snow to wash out carcasses in the field. No ticks or mosquitoes.

Of course when it comes to cold & snow, one has to take the good:

View attachment 286231
View attachment 286226
View attachment 286222

With the bad!

View attachment 286229
Spikebuck, what model JD is that? Looks like a 105R. I've got a 2025R. Waiting gor a big one to plow with it.

Aren't there some fat snowshoes in NH?
I guess you are correct there. I don't rabbit hunt but I do see snowshoes up north. Right now we are loaded with cotton tails here in the south. I see them everyday in the yard. Of course I put brush piles in the woods for their dens, so good reason I see them. They are so small the Greys might provide a bigger meal..Besides, the wife would most likely shoot me.

@New Hampshire I get that. The wife is the protector of the squirrels in the yard. When they get hard on the fruit trees she is ok with my trapping and deportation program. While I don't kill them I drop them off where trees are scarce and hawks and eagles are plentiful. 😈

@New Hampshire I get that. The wife is the protector of the squirrels in the yard. When they get hard on the fruit trees she is ok with my trapping and deportation program. While I don't kill them I drop them off where trees are scarce and hawks and eagles are plentiful. 😈
I have a collection of air rifles for the greys and the little rats with racing stripes. (chippies). We are to close for anything that makes noise here, but the last 2 years the chippies and I had a war, they were everywhere digging in everything. 125 was the count in 2022 and 87 in 2023.

I have a collection of air rifles for the greys and the little rats with racing stripes. (chippies). We are to close for anything that makes noise here, but the last 2 years the chippies and I had a war, they were everywhere digging in everything. 125 was the count in 2022 and 87 in 2023.
That's a bunch of chipmunks. When I was a kid I was around many summer cottages in the UP. And summer friends had to fight the invasion every year. Also common mice. My 22 single shot did it's share. But never came close to your numbers!

That's a bunch of chipmunks. When I was a kid I was around many summer cottages in the UP. And summer friends had to fight the invasion every year. Also common mice. My 22 single shot did it's share. But never came close to your numbers!
Just a few years ago we had the grey squirrel apocalypse. if you drove 10 miles in NH there were 100+ dead greys on the road. It was crazy. the last 2 years were the chippie invasion. I think I put a dent in them around the house.

Spikebuck, what model JD is that? Looks like a 105R. I've got a 2025R. Waiting gor a big one to plow with it.
1025R.

I usually plow with my Polaris Sportsman 500 HO, but that particular storm dumped nearly 3' of heavy wet snow on us. The ATV does an amazing job for me, but this was just too much for it. It did start to make a path down the drive but ended up buried!

20190224_123438.jpg

The little 3 cylinder diesel 1025R has done a lot of work for me over the ten years I've had it. If I were to do it again, however, I'd go bigger.

Last edited:
Just a few years ago we had the grey squirrel apocalypse. if you drove 10 miles in NH there were 100+ dead greys on the road. It was crazy.

Indicative of a previous year with a good nut crop followed by the next year with scarce nut crop. Saw that happen in Tennessee years ago. The next season you couldn’t find a squirrel.

TWRA put adds in newspapers early in the summer encouraging hunters to get out that fall and get their quota of squirrels. Situation ended up just as they predicted. It took 2-3 years for the squirrel population to somewhat recover.

Last edited:
I had a pellet rifle at 10, 1953, that replaced my bb gun. When corn was harvested it was put in a large enclosure at the gin. After the gin closed I would get in and wait on the rats to start after the corn. That was the best place place to hunt I ever found! I shot rats every day I went till the corn was processed.

Back