• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wads material

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lalili

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was wondering if materials like an old cotton t-shirt or even raw cotton were effective as wads for flintlock shooting.

Icône de validation par la communauté

Well they will "work" as wads, but they are pretty flammable. Best to use something like tow, which are the fibers left from processing flax into linen, which smolder instead of flame when ignited, or an old wasp nest, or better yet fiber shotgun wads.

LD

Ok thanks for your answers, but these materials burn easily and will automatically ignite in the barrel, I think it's safe due to bullet propulsion (cotton or handkerchief will come out completely charred I think

Oh OK...
If burning or windage of the patch and ball is an issue.... I would say(based on what I've seen here over the years), use wasp nest material...

The borax Idea is actually pretty good... almost a modern day muzzleloading hack....

I've been using leather wads between powder and ball/shot, with a heavy cardboard card over ball/shot. Harness leather scraps work best for the leather wads since harness leather is already stuffed with oils and wax from the tannery. As an alternative, you can punch wads out of any vegetable tanned strap leather, but since it is a dry leather, you can coat them in olive oil and beeswax for lubrication. The old arch type 16 gauge shotshell wad cutters cut a good firm fitting wad for the .62/20 ga. smoothbores. Since I have a full time leather shop, I have plenty of scrap leather to work with.
Leather Wads.jpg

2x1 rectangles of brown paper rubbed soft, folded and run home. It’s hc, and works real well, just was part of the load for yesterdays turkey dinner.
I learned it from Duelist ‘54

Back