• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch material

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lalili

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was wondering if materials like an old cotton t-shirt or even raw cotton were effective as a patch for flintlock shooting.

Icône de validation par la communauté

I use heavy weight old 100% cotton tee shirt for patches in a pair 45 caliber pistols.
Cut strips 1” x 12 long, lube and roll up. Cut with patch knife at muzzle when loading.
Recovered patches show no signs of cutting.

But that’s for target velocity pistol shooting might be a different story for patched round ball in a rifle. Try it and see. Select a “heavy weight” old tee.
Edit: They are also a good fit wit a 440 round ball in TC Patriot Pistol.

Last edited:
Generally no. The weave is way too loose, BUT depending on your gun, it might work so try it. It's a cheap and easy experiment.

The thin, loosely woven tee-shirt material is great for wiping between shots, cleaning at the end of the day, wiping the wood down after cleaning, applying wax to the stock, but as a rule not good for use as a patch for the ball for flintlock or percussion lock shooting. I use the 0.018" tightly woven cotton drill cloth from JoAnn's Fabrics.

Hello everyone, I was wondering if materials like an old cotton t-shirt or even raw cotton were effective as a patch for flintlock shooting.

View attachment 135160
The weave on T-Shirt material is too loose…it won’t provide a good gas seal. You want material that is made from a natural fiber and has a tight weave to act as a gas seal.

I've always wondered what the mountain men and the earlier long hunters used for patching when they were far away for months at a time. And what did they use in an Indian fight or when a fast second shot was needed in hunting? I'd be willing to bet that there were a lot of bare naked balls shot in those days. I've tried it myself and the accuracy out to 30 yards or so is plenty good to kill man or beast.

Last edited:
In my Traditions Kentucky rifle I’ve used powder, wad of jute tow, .495 round ball and another wad of jute tow. It was surprisingly accurate.

The weave on T-Shirt material is too loose…it won’t provide a good gas seal. You want material that is made from a natural fiber and has a tight weave to act as a gas seal.
Doesn’t come more natural than cotton and weave, well how tight can a weave be actually. Ticking same material, thickness, I’ll give you that, a product of thread thickness and count. Thickness equals a better fit of the ball and material pushed into the grooves of the rifling. Weaving acting as a gas barrier……?? JMO.
OP if your like the average bloke you got a ready supply of stained old clothing around. Experiment. Cast off jeans maybe. 100% cotton for the most part. Wife might even have some fine linen napkins available or an old silk blouse. 😁

Latest posts

Back