• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

virtyally indestrutible ramrod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Hawken

40 Cal.
Reaction score
has anyone tried one of these. they look like they would be a good idea being wood with a steel core.they give you a choice of wood what is the best to use? i have being using a composite ramrod for years and just found out i could be damageing my barrel. i have ordered a pedersoli frontier .36 flint and don"t want to wreck a new rifle.

I use a bore guide so I don't worry about damaging my rifle with a plastic rod. It is one of those rods that will bend and not break. I use it for cleaning, and use the rod that comes with the rifle for loading in the field. I don't see how a rod can damage a rifle if you use a bore guide.

I just got mine yesterday, and I have to say that it is a well made ramrod. It's a lot heavier than a plain wooden rod, but remember that it has a metal rod running through it. Unfortunately, even though I put the dimensions in correctly on the website, I was sent a tapered rod instead of a straight one, and it won't fit in my rifle. I'm going to have to contact the gentleman and ask for a replacement.

playfarmers said:
I use a bore guide so I don't worry about damaging my rifle with a plastic rod. It is one of those rods that will bend and not break.

I don't see how a rod can damage a rifle if you use a bore guide.
I'm going to simply pass on some info I read in a ramrod article once, but I have no earthly idea if it's true or not...it was mentioned that:

"...very flexible synthetic ramrods can cause wear down in a bore because as they flex they bow out into and rub the rifling..."

Repeat: I have no idea if that's true...I don't use them so it never interested me further.

I have one of those ramrods for my 73 and it is made real good he tapered it just right for the forearm and made the tip the right size,i would buy another one in heart beat

I have heard from some that the type of synthetic rod is a factor in potential bore damage...

I also have one as a replacement and love it. Took just the tiniest bit of sanding to fit perfectly.

Back