• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Torn patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After getting the stock shortened to fit me better and the new rear sight installed on my Pedersoli frontier flint .54, I went to shoot yesterday and discovered this used rifle I had bought was badly caked with rust in the breech area. After an hour of elbow grease, the touch hole was clear, the barrel reasonably clean. After getting the rifle dialed in, I found two of my patches and they had tear holes in them. I'm thinking that the rust has caused rough spots in the bore maybe. I really can't feel any rough spots when cleaning the gun. I may wrap a brush with a piece of copper Choreboy and scrub that breech area to see if that loosens any further surface rust that may be down there. I'll probably use PB blaster as that my help on the brush.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Attachments

• shot patches.JPG
    shot patches.JPG
    888.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Those could be caused by sharp lands. Scrubbing with the Chore Boy may help or lapping the bore with steel wool on an undersized jag will also cut the edges. Somewhat surprised that the lands would still be sharp if the breech is rusted. Smoothing of the crown is another operation that may help.

Piece of gray Scotchbrite in a slit at end of dowel, dowel chucked in drill, turn to polish bore and smooth out sharp rifling. Supplement with Flitz if desired. Thoroughly clean out metal dust and Flitz residue. Nice, bright and shiny result.

IMG_3936.JPG

Use an undersized jag and a 1" square piece of red scotch bright to clean up your bore, 100 strokes should do it.

I suspect your crown is cutting your patches when you load the gun, check and see if there are sharp edges on the lands at the crown on the muzzle. You can smooth these out with some 220 wet or dry sand paper, put a small square over the muzzle, inset your thumb in the muzzle, rotate the barrel one way and your thumb the other. Don't get aggressive, a light touch is best and stop when the sharp edges disappear.

Just one man's opinion.

You'll have a difficult time attacking a damaged breech from the muzzle end of the barrel.

You need to be able to run those abrasive devices past the damaged area. You can't do that when you're bumping up against the breech plug.

Unbreech the thing and attack the breech damage from the breech end. That way you can actually see if you're making progress.

when I got my green mtn barreled rifle I got this groups and patches like yours Dixons suggested 0000 steel wool oil on an under sized jag aprox 100 strokes and turned it
DSC02844.JPG
DSC03040.JPG
DSC03160.JPG
into this and patches looked better I now polish all new barrels

Back