• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Vinagroon Got Nasty

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Veg tan. I dipped a piece and got a very deep grey.
Your solution is not strong enough, or not aged enough. I kept mine going for 0ver 6/8 years by adding to it any time it got low. Turned vege tan black in under a minute, and blacker with repeated coats letting the leather absorb for a few minutes or so between coats. I never soak. I just apply with a dauber.

I use hand warmers, as it is just iron. Dump the hand warmer in a jar of vinegar and it will dissolve within a couple of days. Pour it into a shallow pan and dunk the leather into it, rubbing it in a bit. It turns black within a minute or so as long as the solution can penetrate the leather (no oils or such).

I use hand warmers, as it is just iron. Dump the hand warmer in a jar of vinegar and it will dissolve within a couple of days. Pour it into a shallow pan and dunk the leather into it, rubbing it in a bit. It turns black within a minute or so as long as the solution can penetrate the leather (no oils or such).
Now that is a speedy trick!

Latest posts

Back