• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making stain/dye ,walnut,all purpose ,type 1a

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shootrj2003

36 Cal.
Reaction score
making this right now soaked walnut hulls,three weeks in a bushel size galvanized tub,today I’m boiling down the liquor with more more nuts added ,quite thick and black ,will stain steel, wood, clothe,or leather ,I will put it in 2 qt. Mason jar and add vinegar to top it up to full,stuck on vinegar or alcohol alcohol will dry faster and smell better and should mix with the water so I might use that any hints?

Keep it in the frige,, or put a canning lid on it when the juice is hot (just like canning).
Neither vinegar or alcohol will keep the mold away indefinably,, either will hold it back for awhile but it still comes.
Canning works, but once ya crack it the mold will come

Thanks, my thoughts were also concerned with this substance being food for something so spoiling or mold forming could be a concern,of course we’re not eating it or anything but it could raise a stink!.

Yep, the stuff actually has a high sugar content, a mold comes that is slimy and not fragrant friendly.
There was a topic about this not too long ago, and the question came up "How did the store it in history?",
I don't think they did, it would have been easier to just have a pile of dried husks left from harvest out back, and make fresh stain as needed.

Back