• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Video - The Palmetto Black Powder Tester in Action

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticap

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I remember when Dixie Gun Works was selling this Palmetto black powder tester but don't remember ever seeing one in action before.
It would also seem to make a good black powder blank gun.
The last result with Swiss OB must be what we call Swiss Null B.
Those are reputed to be floor sweepings, the leftover BP dust from making all of the other granulations.
The video lasts 1:50.

Yes, it's a novelty.
But what makes it interesting is that the piece has some historical precedent.
And it can also help to prove which batches of powders are more powerful or suitable if there's any doubt about how they were made or stored, or if buying a large batch of powder.
Sort of like a miner carrying a portable hand scale during the gold rush days to weigh his gold nuggets with, or when transacting business using gold for bartering.
It would certainly help to put to rest false claims of having a potent black powder for sale without actually needing to discharge a gun with a projectile. ;)

Last edited:
Yes, back during the civil war when anyone with a manure pile was employed to start a nitrary and black powder was sourced from anyone that could make it, such a device would have been critical. Black powder was also used in the mining and logging industries and would have needed to be evaluated too.

History is full of neat gadgets like that that one....

Based on the video, I sure hope I don't see anyone suggesting loading Swiss OB powder for a main powder charge their guns. :eek:

I'm not sure but I think Swiss OB is the same powder we call Swiss Null B.
Pletch found that Swiss Null B was the fastest flintlock priming powder he ever tested.

Based on the video, I sure hope I don't see anyone suggesting loading Swiss OB powder for a main powder charge their guns. :eek:

I'm not sure but I think Swiss OB is the same powder we call Swiss Null B.
Pletch found that Swiss Null B was the fastest flintlock priming powder he ever tested.
I thought the same thing but didn't want to start the whole 4F argument again. The tester did illustrate the difference in powder strength.

Last edited:
The fact that Palmetto has been out of business for so long shows and that Dixie still has them for sale means that once their gone, there probably won't be any more made.
It would be nice if someone were able to analyze some of the engineer features that make it work as it does.
Perhaps even improve it.
I suppose if a modern device were made with the same purpose, that it would have some kind of modern gauge or meter on it to measure the powder strength.
So many people have a chronograph now days that measure feet per second with precision, but the bores, loading variables and even powder measures aren't standardized enough to provide a standardized comparison that everyone else would be able to duplicate for their own batch of powder.
Admittedly, this old style tester is not nearly as sensitive as a chronograph.
Perhaps someday a more more modern powder tester will be devised that's based on more than simply feet per second for a particular load fired from one particular barrel.
It would be nice to see a standardized comparison of different types and brands of powders that's not based on feet per second, but on something more standardized that measured actual pressure and/or volume of the expanding gases produced.
We rely on the powder companies to do it for us by making a consistent product.
But then we need to guess about the relative strength of powders based on the chronograph readings of individuals or reference books.
And then we make generalizations about them which quite frankly could become outdated overnight, or as new powders are developed.
What about the strength of old powders that are out of production, or powders that have aged including old substitute powders or "antique powders" that are discovered.
A modern precision powder testing/measuring device available to the general public could open up a can of worms and perhaps raise some eyebrows too.
If a scale as standardized as a thermometer were used, it could be more meaningful than the velocity readings that someone else can obtain using their chronograph and XYZ barrel and load.

Last edited:
Back