• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder staining and wood?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Took apart a newish muzzleloader after a shoot and noticed residue from black powder staining the interior (rougher finish) wood of stock.
This was from me using a Ballistol/water mix for a quick hose-off of the action and bore immediately after a shoot prior to getting it home for a through cleaning. Have done this previously with other guns but apparently I did it this time with too much gusto washing concentrated BP residue inside the stock.

Tried multiple things to remove this (stock interior) wood blackening but still there slightly. Don’t really care about “looks” but wood and metal. Bad for the wood long term? Bad for the metal where it may contact this wood? Last thing I used was 100% Ballistol and a toothbrush.

Yea I am not concerned about looks but the, albeit minor, residue that might damage wood or metal contacting long term. Having seen the “untreated results” of not cleaning BP residue I may have been overly concerned. May... ;)

Yea I am not concerned about looks but the, albeit minor, residue that might damage wood or metal contacting long term. Having seen the “untreated results” of not cleaning BP residue I may have been overly concerned. May... ;)
Wipe it out, let it dry, and go about your business. The little bit of blackish cleaning slop isn’t going to hurt anything. Oil everything up and put it away. Too many people give the impression that black power is some sort of acid that will eat through an Abrams tank. The water in the cleaning solution will do more damage to the wood and metal than the Blackpowder remnants in the solution. Your gun also isn’t going to rust on the way home from the range. Save that cleaning job for when you get home. It’s just unnecessary to worry about it for that duration of time.

Isn’t ballistol water soluble? I always thought it mixed with water and would not displace water.

Ballistol.......Thanks Cutfinger. Don't have a lot of experience w/ it. Didn't know it went after brass. I'll learn about what it can do for me in time.
It goes after copper , that is why it was developed by the German army as a bore cleaner . It was used as an antiseptic , that isn't on the bottles sold in the USA , also cleaning gramophone records , leather ,all sorts . It has an affinity for steel and gets under anything that coats the steel . I am not aware it goes after brass , it has not hurt any of mine .

Cutfinger......... Looks like I'll play with Ballistol and copper. I use copper on Mtn. rifles for thimbles ,inlays , side plates , etc. Always looking for ways to age copper. .....oldwood

The black staining of wood is most likely just carbon, easily absorbed into untreated(unsealed) interior wood surfaces. It’s unlikely that it would be a source of wood or metal damage, particularly when cleaned up, with the. lock properly lubricated. In some cases I have found a cleaning of the carbon stained wood areas with a bit of MAP on a soft toothbrush can remove the carbon staining without harm. Once done, and the area rinsed and dried, a bit of beeswax, or even a sealer will help toavoid further staining.

Last edited:
Isn’t ballistol water soluble? I always thought it mixed with water and would not displace water.
It does mix with water but when the water evaporates the Ballistol remains behind and protects the metal surface . It is the principal of Dutch Schultz's dry patch method , the water Ballistol solution soaks evenly into the patch material then the water evaporates leaving the oil evenly distributed throughout the cloth fibers

I have multiple rifles going back to '78. I've never hosed off anything at the range. I do wipe it down with a rag and sometimes oil if it's humid. I DO make sure I take care of it at home that day. Once or twice I got it the next day. There is no rust on any of my pieces.

The black staining of wood is most likely just carbon, easily absorbed into untreated(unsealed) interior wood surfaces. It’s unlikely that it would be a source of wood or metal damage, particularly when cleaned up, with the. lock properly lubricated. In some cases I have found a cleaning of the carbon stained wood areas with a bit of MAP on a soft toothbrush can remove the carbon staining without harm. Once done, and the area rinsed and dried, a bit of beeswax, or even a sealer will help toavoid further staining.
I came across this posting after doing a search for "cleaning black marks off stocks" and found some great ideas/methods. For my own personal edification, what is "MAP" that Art Caputo mentions above; "a bit of MAP on a soft toothbrush can remove the carbon staining without harm." Thanks.

Back