• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Using Corn Cob

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brokennock

Cannon
Reaction score
If one wants to try to use corn cob for a project, in this case a stopper or plug for a ball bag, can the corn be cooked? Can regular sweet corn work and the normally wasted cob from having corn on the cob be used? Or, does one need to remove the raw kernels and dry the raw cob?

You don't want to try and dry down sweet corn. You want flint corn or dent corn. Dry it down on the cob and then you can just wring the cob with both hands. The corn falls off. I grind my own for cornbread and grits. If you lived up here I could have given you barrels of the stuff to play in. :grin:
If unsure, go to your hardware store or TSC, bird food section. They usually have bags of half cobs for people who feed squirrels.

when you figger out which kind to use, they also make nice HC/PC plugs for that brown jug ya pass around at camp. :thumbsup:

As kids we used to make pipes out of a 2-inch length of dry cob with the bowl bored out. For the stem we swiped bamboo twigs from a neighbor's yard. Then we climbed up into the tree house out of Mom's view and smoked Folger's coffee in the things.

:haha:

BillinOregon said:
As kids we used to make pipes out of a 2-inch length of dry cob with the bowl bored out. For the stem we swiped bamboo twigs from a neighbor's yard. Then we climbed up into the tree house out of Mom's view and smoked Folger's coffee in the things.

now there is the story of a kid who doubtless grew up to be a fairly well- adjusted and normal adult... unlike my childhood friends who were prevented from even building a treehouse ("you'll fall and break your neck..." - and besides, there weren't any trees big enough to support a proper treehouse - the developer had cut them all down so he could charge extra for "landscaping...)

heck - I wouldn't be surprised if half of those kids ended up growing into serial murderers or tax collectors

BillinOregon said:
As kids we used to make pipes out of a 2-inch length of dry cob with the bowl bored out. For the stem we swiped bamboo twigs from a neighbor's yard.
Like this?

We didn't have access to cobs to make pipes, had to smoke catalpa beans. Hot.

Spence

Pretty similar, Spence. Burning coffee has an acrid smell. We also smoked dry bracken fern stems like cigarettes, especially in Scouts. Early exposure to this stuff may well account for the numerous anomalies in my personal life.

:wink:

Not all corn cobs are created equal.....Modern field corn is junk...but some of the Indian corn varieties produce very durable cobs....
I have a file with a corn cob handle....

No, did that in the Dakotas too. Punkwood also, that was actually fairly mild. You could smoke it like a cigar.

wvbuckbuster said:
Nobody smoke any corn silk growing up? Must be a WV hillbilly thing :rotf: Dan.

VA hillbilly too I guess. we smoked corn silk, the crumbly bark off of grape vines, the flaky seeds from the bean tree beans all rolled into ciggies with pieces of brown paper bag. and sometimes even the bean tree beans themselves.

but, for a big & rare treat & if he carelessly left it layin' around we'd occasionally score a chunk off my grampaw's plug terbaccy to dry out & chop up for real-deal smoke :haha: .

Bubba50, we are close to the same age and I did most of those things as a kid. My friend would snitch a pack of cigarettes from his dad's carton and carefully tap the packs forward so it looked the same. My guess is that his dad knew where they went.

BillinOregon said:

You survived? :doh:
Actually, MSW's observation is very good. You lived a normal childhood. Happy for you. I did some crazy things as a kid also. This isn't the place to discuss them.

Back