• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Using Aperture Sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For those of you who currently use a tang mounted aperture sight (like the Lyman 57ML or one of the old TC sights), do you have any significant change to your point-of-impact after removing and replacing the barrel during cleaning? I have a Lyman trade rifle that I'm considering mounting the Lyman 57 on but am concerned about constant changes to POI. Since it is a big game rifle, I guess I could live with a tiny change, but would like to hear from those who have actual experience.

I have the same rifle and sight and I haven't noticed any change in the POI after removing/replacing the barrel.

But... be warned that I only started shooting again this year after many years away from it and my groups aren't as tight as they should be. I probably wouldn't pick up on a small change.

Jamie

I have tang-type aperture rear sights on most of my serious target rifles. Your concern about change in POI is wise. IF your barrel fits tightly in the stock you will probably be OK. On one of my rifles (T/C Hawken) the barrel fit was sloppy and I did have issues with retaining its zero. Bedding the breech end and where the barrel keys were with Brownell's Acra-glas totally tightened things up.

jamieorr said:
I have the same rifle and sight and I haven't noticed any change in the POI after removing/replacing the barrel.

Same here. Been using them on MLs for something like 15 years, and on over a dozen different rifles. If the barrel is properly bedded, there's zero change in POI. If the barrel isn't properly seated, you'll have other problems in addition to POI changes.

Try it. If you get POI changes, work on the barrel bedding if necessary. Not a big deal at all.

The question is more about your use of the gun. For serious bench shooting, a removeable barrel and tang sight is not usually the best choice. I had a heavy barrel underhammer that had very expensive reciever sights. But the barrel and tang were screwed together into a very sturdy integral unit. It shot better than I could and I shot many quarter dollar five shot groups at 100 yds with it. It would change point of impact for several things. Temperature extremes, lighting, humidity extremes. Barrel removal was simply not done.

Your concern is valid. But, don't jump off cliffs yet. :shocked2:
In theory, the POI should not change. But, in this game 'stuff' happens. My half-breed target rifles do hold their zero after the sights are removed and replaced. But, that might change and surprise me at any time. Your rifle will tell you what it will tolerate, or not.

I've used both of the sights you are asking about and have not had a POI change with any of my rifles which have them.

Personally I don't usually remove my barrel, unless it has a hooked breech and wedges. I have a two band PH Navy rifle that was bedded in the early 1980s and have not removed the barrel since. Some blokes do, guess you have to be methodical and consistent in your remounting. i.e. tightening tang screws the same each time.

Cheers

I have several TC's using Lyman 57 SML. Not one of them changes to any degree. I an take the barrel off take the sights off put everything back together and hit the target out to 300 yards.

I need to go check sights on my TC New Englander (.458 bore, 24" twist, tang peep) with 80 grains of FFg.
If the chance comes up to do that I will report the results.

down under we don't use sighter targets, just best 10 out of 13 shots to count.

Cheers

Back