• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unknown, possibly Asian, flintlock.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got the flintlock pictured off gunbroker cause I found it neat. Seller had it listed as an unknown Asian trade flintlock. The bore is rifled and appears to be approximately 45 caliber. The lock has no markings both externally or internally and there are no markings on the barrel under the woodline. Stock appears to be some kind of craftsman special and all the metal accents are supposedly aircraft aluminum. Wondered if anyone here could recognize the lock and or the entire rifle. Size compared to my parker hale two band enfield. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20240408_190657.jpg
    20240408_190657.jpg
    957.5 KB · Views: 5
Personally I'd have a qualified expert give it a look over. Theres a ton of unsafe wall hanger reproductions out there that are unsafe to shoot. From pic it looks ok but better to be safe.

I would also recommend being very careful about actually firing that rifle. I am by no means an expert but the trigger guard and butt plate look like formed metal instead of cast. I have never seen that before even in a cheap Miroku Kentucky rifle like I have. It looks more like a repro than a real rifle. You can try some flints without loading it to see if it throws decent sparks. If not, the frizzen is probably some kind of soft metal.

I would also recommend being very careful about actually firing that rifle. I am by no means an expert but the trigger guard and butt plate look like formed metal instead of cast. I have never seen that before even in a cheap Miroku Kentucky rifle like I have. It looks more like a repro than a real rifle. You can try some flints without loading it to see if it throws decent sparks. If not, the frizzen is probably some kind of soft metal.
So the metal is aluminum. The ad on gunbroker claimed it is supposedly salvaged aircraft aluminum. It does throw a good spark and my gunsmith deemed it safe to shoot (albeit not with more than like 50gr of FFg). Unfortunately, the flint chipped after trying to get the flash pan to ignite a second time, so my range trip to test it was cut short.

I'd say it looks like a Khyber Pass copy of some sort. The gunsmiths there are infamous for making copies of old guns to be sold to the tourist trade. Some are shoot-able others not so much. If I were to try and shoot it, I would proof it from a distance first, but don't be surprised if it turns into a pipe bomb.

I'd say it looks like a Khyber Pass copy of some sort. The gunsmiths there are infamous for making copies of old guns to be sold to the tourist trade. Some are shoot-able others not so much. If I were to try and shoot it, I would proof it from a distance first, but don't be surprised if it turns into a pipe bomb.
Its possible. I have handled khyber pass stuff before and this definitely has similarities. The main reason I don't think it is is the fact I have never seen this much aluminum used by khyber pass stuff. It is possible though.

That's a nice job of forming the butt plate and trigger guard. If the maker was as careful with the barrel and breech plug it might be fine. Easy for me to say from a distance, huh?
So I managed to get the barrel out, and it appears to be a repurposed barrel off of an 1860-1890's European rifle. The plug is secured to at least the standards of an 1800's manufacture black powder arm from any of the major powers. The lock is definitely cannibalized and not craft made. Unsure of the make though as it doesn't match any of the time.

Back