• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Underlug Staple

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The horned toad says we should go to Mexico.
I have a quick question. I'm not a metal worker, wood is my area of comfort. I have a 54 octagon barrel on the bench set up with three underlug staples for keys. I would like to set this barrel in the stock with pins, not keys. Its a SMR with a lollypop tang and I want to lesson the temptation of future owners feeling, for what ever reason, that they have to remove the barrel and risk damage to the tang. Pins would deter the inexperienced I would think.
So, the enderlugs appear to be driven in and expanded, permanent. These are not dovetailed. Whats the best option to make the existing staples solid for pinning? It could take a while with my learning curve to solder them until the space is full, then file flat. I was considering laying the barrel sideways with the staple side flat against a scrap of wood and filling it with pewter, then file flat.
What would you try?

It is a dirty word, but if you don’t have confidence in your soldering ability, a flat brass pieces shaped to fit in the existing lugs' spaces and JB Welded in would probably work.

I made my Tennessee with keys in order to facilitate an easy barrel change. A .40 for small game and a .50 for larger.

1616246195626.png

if the stock is not already drilled for the staples why not remove the key staples and relocate new ones for pins? get the track tool. just be careful with the drill.

Last edited:
Everybody back to the top of the page. The barrel has staples installed. I don't want to wrestle the existing staples out of the barrel. I want to fill the web.
If it did not have the staples for keys already on the barrel I would just install new ones for pins, but with my big fat hands I'll gouge up the barrel getting the old ones out. Thus, I'm trying to fill the web.

you dont have to wrestle them out, just grind or file them flat. they are cast and usually will snap right off if bent back and forth a little. may pull right out if they were not staked too hard . have done it both ways ,its no big deal. or maybe fill them with silver solder if thats what you want to do .

The staples will work fine for pins if you carefully tap them sideways in the direction of the barrel length. That will narrow the gap between the staple and barrel surface. Make the gap the same size as the diameter of the pin material.

Won't be pretty but might work. If it doesn’t, pull the staples and replace them with the solid type meant to be drilled and used with pins.

I guess my question is......are there keys installed in the wood? If so, what are you going to fill The wood with?
if you’re putting it in a new piece of wood, you Could easily weld them up .

I’d cut em off, and put solid ones on. Sometimes “making thing work” causes more problems than not.

Sounds like a lot of bother over what a future owner may or may not do with a rifle they own.

i believe staples should be slotted front to back ,but not up and down, seems the play may crack to forearm under recoil or at the very least barrel would be loose. stock could warp some. no ?

Everybody back to the top of the page. The barrel has staples installed. I don't want to wrestle the existing staples out of the barrel. I want to fill the web.
If it did not have the staples for keys already on the barrel I would just install new ones for pins, but with my big fat hands I'll gouge up the barrel getting the old ones out. Thus, I'm trying to fill the web.

I use low temperature silver solder that has a melt temperature of about 450F. I think tensile strength is 15000 psi. If it's something you want to try I will take a picture of the cover. it would be my first choice for fill material.

As Pete G said just use the staples as is. The pin passes threw and hold the barrel down and the slot length is of no concern. You can even file the staple thinner to make the web between the barrel and ram rod thinner if you like. No need for filler if you place the pins correctly.

Back