• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Underhammer Actions?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You would think GM could narrow down the weight more than plus or minus one pound in what they manufacture.

Cut the barrel or drill a hole. Me, I would not cut the barrel, I would shoot it first and then think about it for awhile. Can always cut it later, kind of hard to put it back.

The great part is it's your rifle and you get to make the decision.

Oh, another option. Unless you are set on GM, you might call Rice and visit with them about your project.

Hawkeye2 brings valid points.

You would think GM could narrow down the weight more than plus or minus one pound in what they manufacture.

Cut the barrel or drill a hole. Me, I would not cut the barrel, I would shoot it first and then think about it for awhile. Can always cut it later, kind of hard to put it back.

The great part is it's your rifle and you get to make the decision.

Oh, another option. Unless you are set on GM, you might call Rice and visit with them about your project.

Hawkeye2 brings valid points.
Put a 36" barrel on it and be done! :D H&As are light and point well, that pound out there will help you hold steadier and the 4" will give you a better sight radius.
You do make a valid point about leaving it at 36" just not sure but then several things. It is going to be mine and I can always cut it later and I do have plenty of time to think about it. BTW Rice who?

Sorry, I thought every one knew who Rice was.

Enjoy the hunt.

I didn't. I sent Doug at Pecatonica River an email asking if they'd have a problem if I were to buy a Rice barrel, have it sent to them, have them install the breech plug and cut some dovetails. Or maybe I'll just stay with everything Pecatonica River offers in their kit and go from there. I have read and heard that Green mountain barrels are good so I don't think I'd be disappointed with one.

You'll most likely reach the limits of your skills before you exceed the accuracy potential of a Green Mountain barrel. :)
LOL. That's all I have to say other then you're probably right. In fact this whole idea of me building a ML form a kit may be beyond my building skills. As I said to someone else I'd hate to spend $600+ and have it all screwed up.

Chatted with someone from GM. First they don't have or sell 32" barrels. Their .54cal 36"X1" octagon barrel weigh 9-10lbs. If I did my math right, not sure that's a good way to figure it, a 36" barrel weigh about 160oz divided by 36=4.444oz per inch. If you times that by 4 it equals a little over 17oz or just a hair over 1lb so I guess it's just a matter if you want an additional pound hanging out front. Does that all make sense??? I think I'd cut barrel to 32" instead of adding weight to the butt stock
Just happened to look at Track of the Wolf and on their webpage it states for a Green Mountain barrel " barrel, .54 caliber, 1" octagon, 36", 1-70" twist, 5.9 lb, crowned, 3/4-16 thread. So not 9-10lbs.

Chatted with someone from GM. First they don't have or sell 32" barrels. Their .54cal 36"X1" octagon barrel weigh 9-10lbs. If I did my math right, not sure that's a good way to figure it, a 36" barrel weigh about 160oz divided by 36=4.444oz per inch. If you times that by 4 it equals a little over 17oz or just a hair over 1lb so I guess it's just a matter if you want an additional pound hanging out front. Does that all make sense??? I think I'd cut barrel to 32" instead of adding weight to the butt stock
Happened to look at Green Mountain barrels at Track of the Wolf and here's what they have posted " barrel, .54 caliber, 1" octagon, 36", 1-70" twist, 5.9 lb" So not 9-10lbs as I was told

There have been more records set at Friendship with GM barrels than any other barrel maker.

There have been more records set at Friendship with GM barrels than any other barrel maker.
I think I'm just going to stay with my original plan and just get the complete kit from Pecatonica River with the full 36" Green Mountain barrel. Like you said I can always have it cut and re-crowned if I think it's to long.

The Hopkins & Allen Arms company Started making guns In1869 they made both very cheap and some good grade revolvers single shot breech loading rifles a shotguns and double barrel shotguns they never made under hammer rifles they even made m1889 Belgian Mausers on contract for the Belgian government ww1.The famous Hopkins &Allen under hammer rifle was one of the first modern American made muzzleloaders in the late 50s early 60s The rifles were designed and built buy Numrich arms co West Hurley NY. Under hammer rifles go back to the 1840s New England and were very popular in the day N kendal was a famous builder of these gun s in Vermont how ever the original under hammers were a very different design than the modern Numrich H&A under hammers .The H&A under hammers do how ever capture the traditional under hammer rifle of 1840s they are excellent shooters and reliable rifles and pistols with good skill very accurate.In late 70s Numrich sold their rights to the rifle .and. New company in New Jersey The new H&A Started making them they improved the hammer and trigger screws however they did not make their own barrels unlike Numrich which did they made very good barrels .The new H&A bought imported barrels made by Mida in spain of much lower quality and it hurt the already low sales they also imported side lock low quality Spanish made Kentucky and Hawkin rifles and pistols made by Mida finished or kits they also sold under hammer kits with spanish barrels all of-their guns were marked Hopkins &Allen arms most of their barrels were marked spain .I have over the years had many H&A under hammers through the shop for repair or cleanup own several from both companies and one delightful 28 gauge orignal Kindel under hammer shotgun shoots good really like it .In my opinion The ones made by Numrich arms are superior to the one s that were made in New Jersey I would note that the fit and finnish on both variants was excellent on factory finished rifle for inexpensive rifles of the day

Good choice. They are easy to assemble and finish and I think you'll like the longer barrel when you get to shooting it.
Morning. Just curious. Do you happen to know how much prep work will be needed on all the metal parts for the under hammer from Pectonica River before it's ready to be browned?

Morning. Just curious. Do you happen to know how much prep work will be needed on all the metal parts for the under hammer from Pectonica River before it's ready to be browned?

Beyond degreasing when you are ready to brown, none. If you want a smoother finish you can draw file the barrel and clean the action with a file and emery cloth but the gun will look fine without that.

Back