• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Underhammer Actions?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plainsman53

32 Cal
Reaction score
I'm very interested in getting an underhammer rifle. I'm wanting something to hunt with and plink around the place. I'm not finding a lot to choose from on the used market so I'm thinking I might go with one of the Pecatonia kits. They have the H & A and an Allen action available. I suspect the Allen might weigh less that the H & A but I don't know if it would be enough difference to affect the balance or finished weight. The H & A is about $80 cheaper but after the rifle is finished the difference won't seem as great so I'm not going to factor that in.
Does anyone here have experience with both?
Is one more trouble free than the other?

I have Pecatonica's H&A. It is a sweet action. The gun is light even with a long barrel. I have a .36 cal rifle barrel and a 20ga smooth bore. The .36 is mostly for target shooting. The smoothbore is for dove and turkey. I got that action because I like guns with interchangeable barrels. I have thought about getting a .50 cal barrel for large game hunting. Never once had a miss fire. Very short lock time.

That sounds good! I appreciate the response. How long of 20ga barrel do you have? I was thinking it'd be nice to get the smoothbore barrel to go with it. Every time you raise it to your shoulder you are shooting the same gun (even if you aren't).

Muzzle Loaders Builders Supply has a Billinghurst parts kit that is solid. Requires drilling and tapping, heat treating a spring, attaching the barrel by some means to the receiver, making a stock and forearm, and, If you hunt with it, figuring out a safety. They make up into a very nice gun.

The Billinghurst from any of these sources have a .75" diameter hole in the action/frame. It's also made specifically for 1.25-1.5" barrels.
to make it look right, with smaller barrels, there will need to be some reworking.

I'm making one now to fit a 1"barrel. I cut through the frame at the thickness of the top tang.. repositioned it lower and welded it back on.
The 'hole' was sleeved to .625" to match the 5/8th x 16 tpi bolt and everything was welded up.. then I machined a chunk of the thickness off
it's width.. so it would stock slimmer than the fat end of a baseball bat.. I'm drawing up a half position n parts to add.. but not ready to show
anything.. Plug and play they are not

That's IMO of course..

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

I have a Billinghurst casting set. The hammer and trigger fit in the slots is sloppy before any filing to finish the parts. The fit will be so sloppy I have no interest in building it. I do not know who cast the parts. Maybe the ones available today are better?

On a new casting set, I would definitely make sure the hammer and trigger do not fit in the slots before filing. If now I would send it back to the vendor. There is no reason to build on a a poor foundation.

Pecatonica River,, they have a very fine reputation.

I have three (3) Inghram under hammer rifles and 3 of his pistols, I do like under hammers. Oh, 2 other under hammer boot pistols and one light bench rifle.

Only down side to most under hammers, they do not have a half cock, thus there are some safely issues with them. For hunting I would want a half cock.

Your wants would make a nice hunting rifle.

Re-looked at Pecatonica River Green Mountain barrels and they only come in 36" length. I guess an additional 4" won't hurt any. I also have to ask them if there's an additional cost to fit the barrel to the action and then cut the dovetails in for the sights so everything is true. I remember years ago that someone wrapped their barrel in bacon strips to rust the barrel brown. Then they washed it all off, lightly sanded and buffed to get a good brown finish. Anyone hear of this being done?

Re-looked at Pecatonica River Green Mountain barrels and they only come in 36" length.

Length shortening tool
1606414372487.png

Well I'll let you all know what Pecatonica River says when they reply to my email. Until then HAPPY THANGIVING all.

Take some time to search for a factory H&A. They are a solid, reliable gun. And the price is reasonable. Otherwise a build might be in your future.
Believe me I've been looking and none out there. Best option is Pecatonica River but we'll see what they say.

Back