• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ugly pedersoli

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Cabela's blueridge .32 (same model as the frontier) I bought in the early 90's. The only issue was when the hole in the side of the barrel was drilled and tapped for the removable touch hole liner, it was drilled a bit too high in the barrel leaving the touch hole too high up. Ignition was terrible. I had the hole in the liner arc welded shut and drilled a hole much lower in the liner which made the ignition much more consistant. The touch hole is nicely centered in the pan now.
Gods, don’t tell ‘em ya did that. They’ll be 15 pages of posts on how the apocalypse is coming from what you’ve done. oh, the horror!

Got a brand new Pedersoli 45cal Kentucky long rifle for birthday. Practicing for an over the log contest the rifle shot 8” low at 60 yards with 70 gr of powder. Had to hold the bottom of the blade in the bottom of the “V” and put the top of the blade on the bulls eye? Don’t get it, I’m not going to shot Kentucky windage with a brand new rifle, it’s gone. Older guns are better.
Probably 75% of my new rifles have shot "Low" at the start. That is intentional for the most part ... that way all you have to do is file the front sight until you are hitting where "YOU" want the gun to shoot with the load that "YOU" have chosen. Unbelievable......

Probably 75% of my new rifles have shot "Low" at the start. That is intentional for the most part ... that way all you have to do is file the front sight until you are hitting where "YOU" want the gun to shoot with the load that "YOU" have chosen. Unbelievable......
I have a pair of Pedersoli Frontiers in .32 caliber (one flint - one percussion), built in 2001 and 2002 respectively. They purposely come with high front sights to sight in the elevation with your chosen load.

Beautiful gun, really.
I own two Pedersoli flintlocks, a Kentucky long rifle and a Kentucky pistol, both in .45 caliber. The fit and finish was actually above what I was expecting. Having said that, there's a problem with quality control and final inspections at the factory. Not just Pedersoli, not just guns and not just Italy. The quality erosion is directly related to the quality of the people. The pandemic is mostly over but the pool of skilled craftsman really took a hit that could be years in recovery.
I have seen some signs of recovery though and in the most meager of places. My wife and I have a few places we like to eat (or used to anyway) big sign on one of our favorite places "Under new management" while the service was a little slow,(I'd chalk that up to getting their sea legs) the food was great, the waiter was just terrific.
Of course everything was a bit more expensive. That's what is going to happen at Pedersoli. Enough returned guns, unsatisfied customers leading to smaller profit margins will result in a major shake up at the factory. The guy doing the bad inletting who thought he had a job for life will be making half assed pizzas some place and a real craftsman will take his place.
Sit back, give it some time. You do have a choice.
Yes the inletting guy needs fired and be a pizza boy or a door greeter at Walmart 😆

I have a Pedersoli Frontier flint in .32 calibre which started life as a deac. I bought it in Auction as a deac with the intention of fitting a new barrel. It's a beautiful gun but, boy did I have a problem putting it back as a shooting gun. I bought the barrel from Pedersoli complete with everything including sights but my Firearms Enquiry Officer (UK!) couldn't get his head round the fact that it was being re-activated?? The problem seems to be that they don't realise that a lock and a piece of wood are not a firearm, they even call the barrel a 'pressure vessel'.
I have to admit Pedersoli were spot on, they were happy to ship the barrel to a UK RFD and kept me informed (in perfect English) throughout the process. Quality control might not be as good as it used to be but their Customer Service can't be faulted as far as I'm concerned.

I have a Pedersoli Frontier flint in .32 calibre which started life as a deac. I bought it in Auction as a deac with the intention of fitting a new barrel. It's a beautiful gun but, boy did I have a problem putting it back as a shooting gun. I bought the barrel from Pedersoli complete with everything including sights but my Firearms Enquiry Officer (UK!) couldn't get his head round the fact that it was being re-activated?? The problem seems to be that they don't realise that a lock and a piece of wood are not a firearm, they even call the barrel a 'pressure vessel'.
I have to admit Pedersoli were spot on, they were happy to ship the barrel to a UK RFD and kept me informed (in perfect English) throughout the process. Quality control might not be as good as it used to be but their Customer Service can't be faulted as far as I'm concerned.
Was this recently? I think customer service is always the way to go first. It's also a direct line to the company. It's hard for the bean counters to know what to fix if the don't know it's broke. The problem is when big retailers stateside get involved. "They don't build them, they just sell em!"
The retailer will take back a couple but if there's a lot of guns with the same issues they start telling you to contact the manufacturer. That's a big deal shipping to and from internationally.

I bought the gun 4 years ago but only decided to 're-activate' it in November 2021.
The barrel took all of 4 months from date of order to actually arriving in my hands (Feb last year). The Firearms Enquiry Officer then insisted that it could only be fitted by an RFD (FFL) even though I insisted that the barrel was removed by me every time I cleaned it? Like I said, they are employed by the Firearms Department of the local Police but they have very limited knowledge of the subject. You need to be very careful when you deal with them as the majority don't like to be argued with and certainly don't like you knowing more than they do!

I had a Pedersoli Tryon deluxe .45 , It had a chip out of the fore end wood which had been fixed in the factory , so in my mind it was a second . It was a very accurate rifle but the wrong caliber for me so I sold it . Tryon's are probably more authentic mountain rifles than Hawkens as there were more of them made and therefor used .

Gents, what am I missing here ? It seems like with the problem the OP described you are asking him to file off the front sight altogether. I'm probably having a senile moment, but it appears to me that the rear sight is too low if he likes using the bottom of the rear sight V to set his blade top into. It was hitting 8 inches low in that configuration. He had the rear sight V on the base of the front blade to get up to height of bull. Of course, I would have checked the groups before ditching it. Pretty sure he could find a higher rear sight. Maybe if he used top to top on blade and V he could have come up the needed amount. Is that the best sight picture for that rifle and sights ? My sights have bead front/adjustable rear so if I was raised to the max w the rear sight and was still hitting low, I would have to file off the bead. Thanks in advance for setting me straight, SW

I’ve been around muzzleloaders for over 40 years. A good friend won the state regional shoot years back with a 2 pc stock CVA Kentucky kit gun he bought at Shopko for $99.
when some folks graduate to custom guns commercial guns are all junk. People shoot what they can afford.
Pedersoli makes a good gun, some are better then others.
Ive seen some pretty hacked custom guns too.
Just my 2 cents worth.

And as soon as one goomba runs them down there’s a sprint for the bandwagon... regardless if the poster have had actual current experience.
I have experience with plenty of other pedersoli rifles that my friends and family have and all of their rifles are beautiful. They are all older rifles. My new one I recently purchased is no way near the quality and craftsmanship of the older ones. Maybe I got a gun made on a Monday or Friday. Maybe the guy was hungover on that Italian grape wine. Just some jokes my buddies were making. And from all my data collected so far I concluded that a lot of the newer models they make now are manure. But hey maybe a good one will slip out from time to time.

Latest posts

Back