• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti 1858 Remington Millenium

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Pierce

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just located and purchased a Uberti 1858 Remington Millenium, 44 cal. Any thoughts on this revolver? What size round ball and conicals from Lee do I use. Want to purchase molds and there list shows several sizes, 450 or 456 for Conicals, 440 for round ball?
Mike P :)

It will use a .454 rd ball and the conical should be the same. Rugers use a .457 rd ball but they can be used in the Remington too. Yours is made by Uberti and is a good quality gun.

Well, i always shoot round balls so i may be wrong on the conical size. If it were me i would take a caliper and measure the chambers and bore and see what you get and then decide. Some of the guys here shoot conicals and may know what size the REemmy takes.

Mike: IMO, the conical should be about .001-.003 larger than the chamber.

Dixies catalog says the chamber on the Mellennium 1858 is .450 diameter and they recommend using a .454 diameter roundball.

If my guess about the size for conicals up above is right, that would make the diameter .451-.453.

Although you mention that there is a .450 diameter bullet available, that would only be a line to line fit without any sheering of lead. In fact, depending on your exact chamber diameter it could be a loose fit.
A loose fit not only may cause a chain fire, but the unfired bullets will move forward during recoil and probably prevent the cylinder from turning.
If the conical is too large (or too hard), it will be a real problem to load it with the guns loading lever.

As a passing observation, the bullets that are cast using one of those brass bullet molds that comes in a cased pistol is a heeled bullet, that is, the base of the bullet is undersize so it will pilot itself into the cylinder during loading.
If your looking at bullet molds, you might see if it casts a heeled bullet.

I've cast some bullets using a .36 cal brass mold like I mentioned and even using pure lead, they take a LOT of force to get them sheered and seated into a cylinder. When seating a round ball, the cylinder sheers just a little lead ring off of the ball, but when seating a conical, you will have to sheer the lead for the full length of the slugs cylindrical area.

zonie :)

Received the Uberti Millenium yesterday. Not sure if I like the matte finish. Its not just a matte color, but a rough texture. I'm used to the smooth blued finish.
Anyone else feel the same or comments
Mike

I prefer the slick shiny blue for gun finish too. The textured dark gray looks to modern to me.

actually it is black not dark gray, but is textured. Anyone want to trade for the regular blued version, same make?
Mike

I have a remy 58 mellenium. Bought it about 6 years ago. I use it in civ war reenacting, along with live firing. I like the finish just doest seem to gather rust as quick, and if you get sweaty hands won't slip. Also the dull finish makes it easier for sighting, no reflection. I like it.

I guess I'm too used to seeing and using a nicely blued gun, so I put it on the for sale board.
Mike

Guy's I have two 1872 SAA uberti's,with the same finnish.I bought them mostly for the great price.I did not like the finnish at first,but give it some time.Now I love the finnish,and if you polish up the brass it looks very nice and rustic.It cost's alot for a company to polish guns,lots of man hours.but with the millenium finnish it's less porduction time,and the cost trickels down to the buyer.Thats what a friend told me that used to work for a major firearm company.I'm looking for an uberti millenium 1858 right now.Were's the best price on the net?.Thanks,murphy :wink:

Latest posts

Back