• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Twins

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike_AK

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Picked up a .45 TC Hawken recently at the LGS. I wasn't really looking for one, but there it was on the rack and was in decent shape. The tag was $299.99, which probably would have been a good deal, but I lowballed them at $200 and to my shock they said yes. Here it is with it's .50 caliber twin brother. The .45 is on the bottom. I ordered a Lyman .45 Maxi-Ball mold and 57 SML receiver sight and its ready to go. I just need to cast up some bullets and hit the range now.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_667.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_667.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 101
I stumbled across a .50 T/C Hawken on a table at a gun show last spring priced at $225 when just two isles away two others were priced at $475 and $525. I walked away thinking, "That's a good deal." Then I realized I'd been stupid before and went back and offered $200. It went home with me at that price.

Question for the OP: What is the aperture sight you have on each of the rifles? I watch eBay daily waiting for a deal. Most of them ultimately go for almost as much as I paid for the T/C Hawken.

I stumbled across a .50 T/C Hawken on a table at a gun show last spring priced at $225 when just two isles away two others were priced at $475 and $525. I walked away thinking, "That's a good deal." Then I realized I'd been stupid before and went back and offered $200. It went home with me at that price.

Question for the OP: What is the aperture sight you have on each of the rifles? I watch eBay daily waiting for a deal. Most of them ultimately go for almost as much as I paid for the T/C Hawken.

Lyman 57 SML. It was a necessary upgrade for me. I can't hardly see a barrel mounted rear sight anymore if I try and focus on the front. The aperture sight fixed the problem for me. I ordered it from Track of the Wolf. I noticed that Williams has one also for the TC Hawken also, but I already had a Lyman on my .50 so I went with the same for the .45.

Thanks for the reply on the Lyman 57 SML. Does the elevation range work out okay for use with the issue front sight? Also, did you need to remove wood adjacent to the tang to mount it?

Thanks in advance for any tips. I'm 76 and have had cataract surgery. Open sights have become challenging over the years.

The 57 SML works fine with the front sight and no wood needed to be removed.

Mike_AK . . .

Good news. Thanks much. I ordered one from Brownell's. It'll be here Friday. I know I can buy it cheaper, but I love Brownell's. As of this year I've been dealing with them for 61 years. I've dealt with Bob starting when I was 15, then Frank, then Pete. Great people.

EC121 . . .

Thanks for the suggestion. We're on the same page. Do the damage to the most easily-replaceable, cheapest part.

Back