• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TVM,What's The Attraction?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:thumbsup: Well, your fowling piece will stand in there with anyone's! That's a beautiful gun and I can see why you're proud of her.

Leatherbelly,
I have a TVM Early Virginia and I think it is a great rifle, quality, appearance, accuracy etc but it is not in the class of what Taylor builds nor does it cost what he gets. With all due respect you are comparing apples and oranges. Taylor turns out a true custom rifle in every aspect.
Mark

D. Spergia is a heck of a builder.

His brother is something of a . . . wonder what he's up to nowadays.

moose.gif

I was hesitant to post it on this thread and was thinking of doing one of its own,but Gus asked to see it so I obliged. I think Taylor wants to retire to building guns that he likes,for himself.I think he has four rifles and a pistol on his bucket list.My piece is #99.As a Canadian,first thing that popped when I heard the number...Gretski. Both of us laughed. Maybe I'll name her "The Great One", :rotf:
Stumpy, Daryl is still around. Making trouble,as usual,lol. The wifes got him staked with a ball and chain. lately he's been gardening or some such womans work.Planting trees,that's it! Yikes...No woman No Cry!

While you can get plain up to showroom quality from TVM, Taylor and others who not only are gifted craftsmen but who can spend months on a single rifle and whose lifetime production can be counted in dozens; are in different niches altogether. Both produce a superior heirloom but to say one is "better" than the other certainly is comparing apples to oranges, or should I say apples to watermelons.

Hanshi, I would never say one is "better"...on here! I've never handled the TVM. Appears there's two TVM's! How confusing.
I'm spoiled! I've had two production guns,a TC Big Bore(that shot very well), and a Uberty Hawkenthingy.Both good guns but, the rest have been custom.Rendezvous spoiled me even worse.Now it has to be period correct! I base my persona around my gun.
TVM's fill a void.The "price is right" void...and that's great.1200,that is cheap! I respect this as it brings more good people on board.On the other hand,TVM could improve their looks by doing two simple things(IMHO only,I'm no expert)1. Thin down the web to 3/16ths or less.2. Add a cheek molding.They look unfinished.Even a couple straight lines angled back would smarten up the cheek, and for that matter, the whole butt end of these girls.Whatcha think?

Yes TVM is about top dollar that I could spend on a gun and at that some people think I'm nuts to spend that. I'm not sure they understand what a true custom would cost. I had actually got away from traditional muzzleloader's then got the bug again saw some TVM guns on this forum, I sold my inline and an original half stock to finance my first TVM after I got that and relized how much fun and how much I had missed shooting flintlocks. I missed it so much I have another on the way and I had to make some sacrifices to afford that one also. So I'm glad that there is a builder like TVM to fill the niche for guy's like myself.

TVM is a nice company I think Rich Pierce described it very well. I bought a 20 Ga Smooth gun from them at Ft. Bridger, Wyoming. Turns out the barrel at the weddng rings was set with wood filler not good. I called TVM they made a new gun and shipped it fast with extras. Good people.

Appears there's two TVM's! How confusing.

Just to clear up the confusion, I was told that the original TVM began making guns quite similar to those sold by Dixie Gun Works. Almost identical...

Jack sold the first TVM to Matt and Toni and then opened up with a similar name to mostly produce parts and a few kits in the same town.

Having driven a very long way to see the shop and decide on a gun, I happened to be there when Matt and Toni were moving the company out of Jack's place. In spite of the transition, I bought one of their first guns and like it very much.

So Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading is owned by Matt and Toni.

The other is Tennessee Valley Manufacturing and owned by Jack Garner. (Jackie Brown is just down the road west of Jack, but Matt and Toni moved to Natchez recently)

I have guns from both TVMs. I bought one from Matt and Toni as a kit because I wanted to do my own finish work. For me, working on the guns is part of the experience. Much later, I bought a parts set from Jack because I wanted to push myself. In both cases, I worked with them regarding what was wanted and am happy with the transactions.

I have met Matt and Toni a couple of times and dealt with Jack on the phone. I like them all.

The ability to speak with them and get exactly what I wanted was important to me and I did get that from them.

The idea is that if you work with either of them you can specify what you want and they will quote you a price. The closer that you work with them, the happier that you will be with the end result. The personal contact was one of the reasons why I speak highly of TVM.

Having said all this, I do not think that TVM is hurting for business. The last that I heard, they had a lot of orders and only a few built guns on hand. All of this with very little advertising. There must be some attraction...

CS

Leatherbelly,

I think this website has done a lot to further the popularity of those guns. Apparently quite a few stockholders of the company are frequent posters here.

Joking aside, they do fill a niche for those coming from a modern gun or large production gun background like TC, CVA Pedersoli, etc. A good entry level option of a working gun for those who are more comfortable with characteristics of a factory gun than a proper longrifle.

In reality though, for only a couple hundred more well spent dollars one can get the same options of lock, barrel, wood, LOP, etc, from many individual builders who will will do a whole lot more than the two hundred worth in seeing to the faults you mention plus a bunch of other features I could mention.

You just can't say too much bad about ANY good gun makers these days. I even stay pretty quiet around discussion involving the, ahem, unmentionables. :thumbsup:

I think this website has done a lot to further the popularity of those guns. Apparently quite a few stockholders of the company are frequent posters here.

Not to diminish the effects of the MLF as honestly being a positive influence for many good gunmakers, but Mike Nesbitt sold more TVMs than anyone else from what I have heard from multiple sources. His Muzzle Blasts and Muzzleloader Magazine articles about his Leman (named Captain Erb or just "The Captain" - IIRC) created a lot of fans out there. He also wrote about an early Virginia, a pistol and a southern gun. While I have not had the pleasure of corresponding with him lately, I'll bet that he is still a big fan of TVM.

YMHS,
CrackStock

It's well proportioned enough that at most I'd call it "a bit robust". Still it is under 7.5 lbs.
Hmmm. Robust indeed. My TVM fowler, a gun that I enjoy, is just over eight pounds. That weight is my only objection to the gun as my main use is for upland hunting and it is a bit much to cart around all day. For comparison's sake, the fowler that Mike Brooks made for me (admittedly at greater expense) is a full two pounds lighter with a slightly longer barrel. A very lively gun.
Pete

I've been corresponding with Mike quite a bit of late. He's a fan of both TVM and NSW and for good reason. I have a friend with a TVM smoothbore that's 4" longer than mine yet weighs considerably less. Each gun Matt produces is an individual, that's for sure. If your requirements are specific then you have to furnish those detailed specifications for Matt to use; otherwise the gun will lean toward generic.

Back