• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Dumb Mistake - Ruined my Build?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it is done . . . I posted about it separately . . . I went from fun, and obsessed, to frustrated and just wanting it finished. Thanks for all the advice here.

I am a novice builder and so I was limited by my skill set and some of the design flaws of the Jukar which is fat and not historically correct at all. . . and I was limited by the amount of time I wanted to invest in this project on an old gun given to me.

Attachments

• IMG-4676.jpg
    IMG-4676.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 3-2.jpeg
    3-2.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 3-4.jpeg
    3-4.jpeg
    264.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 3-3.jpeg
    3-3.jpeg
    288.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-4689.jpg
    IMG-4689.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Man, those few weeks of stock drying time just flew right by.
Rebuke noted and point taken, and deserved . . . I wanted my garage back, and the other things of life need my attention . . .Yes, I flunked the test . . . if the wood goes wonky, it's 100% my fault . . . I just wanted it out of my hair, I lost my drive on it, knowing it would never be nor could ever be a really great gun by its original design issues. Were it a flint, my approach might have been different. I would probably have thrown away all but maybe the lock and barrel and set it aside for a different year and a build from the bottom up . . . . . my priority is my rifle build from a blank I started in August 2020. . . I do not rush it, and follow instructions. I work on it only once or twice a month with a builder. I honestly do appreciate your instruction and response and know you are right. I did learn a few things in this endeavor, I promise.

With the humidity in Indiana right now, I am worried about trying to kiln dry it like that. . . but it would speed it up. I just don't know what happens if I speed it up . . . As much as I want to work on it, I think I'll let it sit in the house for several more days as I work on the metal parts. Thanks though.
Don't try any shortcuts. Let it dry at its own pace. Being in a hurry simply leads to a ruined build.

Latest posts

Back