• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TVM Fowler Kit build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
28bb6hd.jpg

2cpclld.jpg

Here is the first barrel tennon before the barrel turns round

Space at front of the muzzle..

From the looks of it, your lugs are holding up the barrel and need to be sunk deeper. If you have an extra lug, you can use it as a gauge for how much wood you need to remove. Also, round the corners of the tabs just a little and sink the barrel downwards at EACH tab rather than one at a time.

Keep in mind, this is advice at a distance given from minimal information. Take your time, remembering it is easy to take wood/metal away but difficult to put back...

TVM inlets their barrels pretty, well usually because they pre-allign the touchhole and the lock and bed the breech plug. They do a lot of the critical things in that regard. They make good kits. . .but leave more wood to shape and remove than others, but they do a good job of the operational essentials such as trigger setting, barrel inlet and lock alignment.

I built their Late Lancaster as my first build two years ago. I am building a Chambers kit now . . . it has it's pluses too for sure, but it has not diminished my respect for TVM. That being said, I owe everything to my coach who had built many kits before.

Well it is your first build, and a learning experience. Not like medical school were:

Step One is watching.

Step Two is do doing.

Step Three is teaching other.

Than you graduate, and PRACTICE MEDICINE. :doh:

You may wish to further define the lock panels. They should be distinct - currently, the front of the lock panel doesn't exist and there is too much wood remaining at the rear....

This, from another post on the forum. This is pretty plain, but it gives you the idea of what Black Hand's post is discussing:

9IPAvRN.jpg

I could spend months working on this gun.. I know that you shouldn't have a time line when putting a gun together but I really wanted to turkey hunt with it... So I got it to a point that I was happy with it and that it could be carried in the woods... I might go back a reengage it again during the summer...

The counterpoint is that defining the lock panels would have taken about an hour. Now will require far more work because the gun will need the finish & stain removed, the panels shaped, sanded, re-stained and refinished.

1 hour vs 10-15 hours (or more)...

I'm a big fan of TVM . . . my first build was their late lancaster kit . . . I'm only on my second now, with Jim Chambers, but I have nothing but good to say about TVM . . .

However, they should really do more shaping on the front lock panel . . . I did look at a pic of mine and there was a pencil guide line to follow, so no one is to blame but us rookies. . .

You have a great gun . . . TVM makes sure of this with their lock inletting, trigger inletting barrel and touch hole. . they do the work that makes sure it goes boom 3 times . . . but I agree that your rifle deserves work on that front panel. You've got the ability, as seen in your other posts, so whenever you get back to that, I think you'll be pleased with how much that changes the entire appearance of the rifle in that area.

I am not a pro, and I had the help of a coach that made all the difference, but I found that a round chain saw file worked best for me in shaping the lock panels. . . he had a few other methods, but for a novice like me, that was easiest.

Back