• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Raised dovetails

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antelope Pete

36 Cl.
Reaction score
So because of an issue I ran across building my Leman kit I'm needing to redo sight dovetails and am wondering about trying a raised dovetail for the rear sight. Right now I'm leery of it so I'm not convinced that's the route I want to go but am curious about it. I see Track of the Wolf has a chisel for it but that's all I know about doing one since can't find much info.

So because of an issue I ran across building my Leman kit I'm needing to redo sight dovetails and am wondering about trying a raised dovetail for the rear sight. Right now I'm leery of it so I'm not convinced that's the route I want to go but am curious about it. I see Track of the Wolf has a chisel for it but that's all I know about doing one since can't find much info.
It’s pretty simple. Like a lot of things it takes some practice.
On a rifle build, one way to practice is to try it on the barrel lugs.

Since I assume that’s done I would do this.......

Get a piece of square stock. This solid piece of steel needs to as wide as a side flat maybe wider.
Clamp this piece of square stock in the vise and cut in a “sight” dovetail. Use a cold chisel to raise the ears of the dovetail.
Doing this, you learn how to use the chisel and how to raise it up uniform.
You may find that you need to grind the chisel some but I have raised them with a good sharp cold chisel.

Doing it on a barrel will be a little different but not that different.

Also practicing on a piece of stock you may find you do not like it.

A sight dovetail can be repaired with a drift, hammer and cold chisel. Also the sight itself can be tweaked to fit a loose dovetail by peeling and spreading the metal.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Just curious, when you said the results might not be what you / I like do you mean the look or something else? Even though raised was very common back in the day I'm leaning toward having a gunsmith cut them with a mill and clean up the things. I've already ordered sights with larger bases both front and rear.

I did it on a build. I guess it looks cool. You need on of these: Dovetail Forming Chisel wax cast steel, made in the USA - Track of the Wolf
I believe that with the old iron barrels that it would have been easier to swage up a dovetail than to file one. With modern barrels it was not so easy.

Due to my perfectionistic tendencies I cut all dovetails on the mill. They look and fit perfect.

Here is something I figured out after dong many dovetails and a lot of head scratching. Measuring the inside corners of a dovetail on a barrel is not simple, at least is was not with dial indicators and calipers.

I now have several strips of brass stock that are gradually tapered. A taper gauge. Steel works as well as brass. The taper is about 0.005 per 0.1". I filed a 60* edge on top edges of the strips. As I cut the dovetail I can use the tapered strip to see how close I am to the sight base major dimension. I measure the sight base then transfer the measurement to the strip with a sharpie. When I get within about 1/8" of the mark on the gauge I get out the 3- corner safe side file. I make a slight relief on the dovetail to help it accept the sight smoothly. From there I tend to work in the sight. IF you put sharpie on the sight you can see where it is hanging up.

Latest posts

Back