• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TVM Custom build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I am a novice and can't tell the difference or the problem you mention with the TVM. But I think I understand what you're saying.

As I add things up, It seems as though I can get a better stock and essentially the same components from Petonica River as I can TVM, but more work done by TVM on the kit. In the long run a better stock might be the best option. . .but more work for me in the short run, which is a bit unnerving . . .cost is about 850 for either one with all the shipping.

It is a little odd Frog. Even the guy that only took charity from him but can't remember what state his "friend" Matt lives in has ganged up to defend TVM from... what? Their customers being cautious!? They attack me personally, unchallenged, for raising a red flag about a guy some may feel would fly the black flag. And then you, Frog, for learning from your own experience and being logical. How dare we!

Those folks have financial and psychological connections to TVM that Helen Keller could see.

I, personally, would know better than to gamble the success of a custom build on the integrity of Matt Avance. O.K. What harm is there, what does it cost, how can these defensive members argue, and with a straight face or any credibility, against others being careful not to be taken advantage of by the good ol' boy!? Odd!

Mac1967 said:
Well, I am a novice and can't tell the difference or the problem you mention with the TVM. But I think I understand what you're saying.

As I add things up, It seems as though I can get a better stock and essentially the same components from Petonica River as I can TVM, but more work done by TVM on the kit. In the long run a better stock might be the best option. . .but more work for me in the short run, which is a bit unnerving . . .cost is about 850 for either one with all the shipping.

IMHO, If I were you I would see what a Tip-in-the-white would cost you and save up / go for that.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. I had two positive experiences with them, but I respect your opinion that you generated as a result of a negative experience.

Just because somebody had a different experience than another person does not make one right and one wrong. Just experiences, just opinions, different for everybody. :idunno:

Tip Curtis seems to run about $1,300. . from what I saw of his guns at Friendship this week. His stock & barrel combos were about $600 as I recall. . . But he has something a lot of these builders don't . . . . a stock of .32 caliber barrels. So I should call him and see what a Late Style Lancaster would cost, and what LH components he uses with the Green Mountain barrels.

I am tempted to say, this is what I would like . . . I have this much to spend, how far can you go on that toward an in the white, how much would be left for me to do?

I've got to sell my Tradition's Crockett. . . as well, which is part of the plan.

Mac, if you are semi handy, I'd say embrace the challenge. Building a rifle is not magic. Just a series of steps. This site is an excellent resource should you encounter any problems.

I have to say that I am quite fond of the one rifle I assembled. Yeah, it has its quirks, but its mine. It shoots better than it should. I have about 140 hours into that rifle and love it. Three deer to its credit so far.

If you don't have some of the good books on building, look into it. The $40 is an inexpensive investment compared to the knowledge that will be gained.

You do have to ask yourself if you have the patience to build the rifle correctly, and not on a time line. Hurrying won't lend itself to a rifle you will be thrilled with. Take your time and you may be well surprised.

I may be able to hook you up with a dvd and maybe lend you a book or two on the subject if interested.

Dewey3 said:
Note in my post that the contract was Bill Shipman's, not Matt Denison's (he shoots for 90 days, but it was very understandable why my order took a bit longer).

Here is my TVM ... very happy with the workmanship:

Nice rifle Dewey. :thumbsup:

That's good advice. I think I can do it. I have asked TVM for a total kit price for what I want. . . which is similar to the picture Dewey posted but in LH . . .32 w 36 inch barrel.

Mac1967 said:
Is that a late lancaster with a 36 inch barrel ?

Mac -

If you were asking about my rifle, it is a bit of an oddball:

TVM Early Virginia in walnut,

54 cal 42" Long Hammock barrel, rifled, octagon to round, turtle front sight.

L&R Queen Anne flintlock, 14" LOP, 8 lbs.

Probably not exactly what you were looking for, but I like it !!!

Funny it doesn't look like that long of a barrel in that picture . . sure is pretty though. Thanks for clarifying.

Mac1967 said:
I hadn't quite gotten comfortable with their $50 shipping yet. . then that pops up.

I have no connection to TVM whatsoever. Also, PLEASE understand I am in no way being critical of you, but a $50.00 shipping charge for a Long Rifle is very reasonable to downright cheap.

Gus

Dewey3

How does it shoot ?

I have a octagon to round barrel on my Danny Caywood flintlock. I love the way it balances.

Kopfjaeger said:
Dewey3

How does it shoot ?

I have a octagon to round barrel on my Danny Caywood flintlock. I love the way it balances.

:redface: Actually, due to my work schedule and weird Iowa weather, I have just recently got out to the range (between rainstorms) - and am currently working on loads for my (also new) NSW Chief's gun (both rb and shot) instead. The Va rifle is next on the agenda !

But I agree with you ... the balances on both the Va and the Chef's gun (also oct to round)) are great (helps that the guns are both lighter than those a full octagon barrel ?).

At least I am retired now (the two guns were my "retirement presents" to myself, lol) so - if the Iowa weather will only cooperate! - I should finally have the time to see what they can do !!!

You're probably right on the shipping, though that's for the kit. . . I'm cheap . . .no, poor might be more accurate (HA!)

Mac1967 said:
You're probably right on the shipping, though that's for the kit. . . I'm cheap . . .no, poor might be more accurate (HA!)

FYI

The shipping on my Va rifle was a bit over $100 (but 3 day priority).
The shipping on my Chief's gun was $70.

Not much a seller/builder can do about those costs except maybe give you a choice of shipping method. But even the cheapest method isn't "cheap" anymore !

And don't forget that the shipping cost includes insurance - which both you and the seller DO want !!!

I agree . . . just anxious to have the $$ to cover it all. . . We have stopped using credit cards in my home, save for one business card, so I have to have a pile of cash before I place an order on this. . which is why every penny matters. My irresponsible side would like to just call TVM or Tip Curtis and just order an "in the white" of what I want and worry about payment later, especially since it would be 6 months of waiting . .a kit from TVM, they say is 5 weeks.

Latest posts

Back