• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turret Breech Underhammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

Capguns are normally not my cup of tea, but my interest in pre-cartridge breechloaders led me to an interesting piece. Apparently it's a .36 caliber underhammer rifle of New England make with a so-called turret breech. A cursory search on the forum shows a few references to other turret breech guns (one apparently designed by Dick Casull), but no images or any other information. The only other turret breech systems I know of (if we discount the Hall rifle and the Kammerlader) are the needlefire Dreyse-Collenbusch system, the so-called Lorenzoni flintlock repeater, and one flintlock in the Royal Armouries called Hulme's rifle of 1807. Does anyone have information about this system from past to present? Any modern examples? Its specialties, weak points and so on? To my understanding it's better suited for smaller calibers and powder charges, but I'd be glad to hear more of it.

Here are the photos of the New England rifle.

Edit: I forgot about the Beringer and its horizontally moving turret, although that too is a needle-fire. I did, however, by accident stumble upon a breechloading flintlock by Ezekiel Baker which seems to work similarly to these turret-breech guns. It even has a live-fire demonstration on Pawn Stars.

Attachments

• under-hammer-new-england-rifle-with-rare-turret-breech-al4908.jpg
    under-hammer-new-england-rifle-with-rare-turret-breech-al4908.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 10
  • under-hammer-new-england-rifle-with-rare-turret-breech-al4908 3.jpg
    under-hammer-new-england-rifle-with-rare-turret-breech-al4908 3.jpg
    870.1 KB · Views: 0
  • under-hammer-new-england-rifle-with-rare-turret-breech-al4908 2.jpg
    under-hammer-new-england-rifle-with-rare-turret-breech-al4908 2.jpg
    957.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts