• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hello from Georgia

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AV8R

32 Cal
Reaction score
I built (read "assembled") a very modest .50 cal Hawkins kit with iron fittings back in 1996 as a way to honor my mid-19th century Missouri ancestors. I am now doing the research to figure out the type of firearm one of my Revolutionary War ancestor would have carried. Henry Farnsworth leased land in Loudoun County and volunteered for the county militia in 1778, being elected one of its lieutenants.

Note on colonial Virginia taxes: Because a portion of all taxes went to the Church of England, their annual taxes were called "tithables". Heads of households paid a tithable for each male adult over 18 in the family (his three children were all under 12 at that time), each paid servant and hired hand, each slave, and every wheeled conveyance on the property. Some years there was an additional requirement for being considered a sound citizen - five squirrel pelts one year, a wolf pelt another year simply due to the over-abundance of such in the area. In the period 1770-1775 Henry paid five tithables. Two hired men are named. I could find no records of slaves, but cannot confirm or deny that at this point, though none are mentioned in his will. My guess is that he had one or perhaps two wagons/carriages. No surprise, but he paid no taxes in 1776. ;-)

Following the war, Henry and family joined some other families in claiming land in Greene County, TN, that was due them for their service in the war. I'm trying to figure out the style of his primary firearm, smoothbore or rifled, etc. a person of his economic status would likely have owned and taken into military service. My plan is to build a left-handed flintlock of that style. I would appreciate any help the group could provide in my quest for information.

Thanks,
Alan

Welcome from Maine. There were some Riflemen from Virginia that headed North. Most militias had Brown Bess or Committee of safety muskets.
Nit Wit

I built (read "assembled") a very modest .50 cal Hawkins kit with iron fittings back in 1996 as a way to honor my mid-19th century Missouri ancestors. I am now doing the research to figure out the type of firearm one of my Revolutionary War ancestor would have carried. Henry Farnsworth leased land in Loudoun County and volunteered for the county militia in 1778, being elected one of its lieutenants.

Note on colonial Virginia taxes: Because a portion of all taxes went to the Church of England, their annual taxes were called "tithables". Heads of households paid a tithable for each male adult over 18 in the family (his three children were all under 12 at that time), each paid servant and hired hand, each slave, and every wheeled conveyance on the property. Some years there was an additional requirement for being considered a sound citizen - five squirrel pelts one year, a wolf pelt another year simply due to the over-abundance of such in the area. In the period 1770-1775 Henry paid five tithables. Two hired men are named. I could find no records of slaves, but cannot confirm or deny that at this point, though none are mentioned in his will. My guess is that he had one or perhaps two wagons/carriages. No surprise, but he paid no taxes in 1776. ;-)

Following the war, Henry and family joined some other families in claiming land in Greene County, TN, that was due them for their service in the war. I'm trying to figure out the style of his primary firearm, smoothbore or rifled, etc. a person of his economic status would likely have owned and taken into military service. My plan is to build a left-handed flintlock of that style. I would appreciate any help the group could provide in my quest for information.

Thanks,
Alan
Welcome, also in Georgia, Muscogee

Back