• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trying to purchase a rifle and so many questions left unanswered.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had similar thoughts on a single trigger set from Kibler, however, his triggers are closer to 2-2.5 lbs (per Jim) which is pretty darn good. I know you said you had pretty well ruled them out, but thought I'd offer that up

I had similar thoughts on a single trigger set from Kibler, however, his triggers are closer to 2-2.5 lbs (per Jim) which is pretty darn good. I know you said you had pretty well ruled them out, but thought I'd offer that up

Well the trigger was only partially it. He has a mountain rifle with dual triggers. My big thing is not being able to finish it in my own since I don't have even a small work shop (I clean my muskets over the counter and on the back porch to my distress). I don't think he offers a 100% rifle anymore.

TVM does and I'm looking into it. Sadly I've ran into a new problem where most rifles have a cast-off and cheek rest. Most rifles I've seen don't have straight/ambi stocks like more modern rifles. I don't want to get a left handed rifle because it often lacks resale and they just look weird to me lol.

I'd probably just have Kibler himself do it and fork over the extra money, I don't have a shop space to do anything so complicated, Fiancée probably won't enjoy me doing it on the kitchen table.

Only issue is it seems his Mountain kit is the only one with double triggers, and he has a cheek rest for right handed shooting, where as I shoot mostly left. So Kibler is probably a no go.
I don't think Kibler completes them for customers? They're so perfectly fitted and engineered as is. Simple assembly with very minimum of "fitting", inletting, drilling, it's all done beforehand.

Hi Osseon,
I previously suggested a possible solution. Buy a rifle set up as a fowler. Order a fowler, which usually do not have cheek pieces and have the maker put a rifled version of the barrel on it. Here is an example. It represents a British officer's rifled fusil from the 1770s and as such is cut back for a bayonet. It is my current favorite rifle to shoot. It could be shot left or right easily. The barrel is simply a Colerain Griffin profile fowler barrel that is rifled.
KIsn15S.jpg

iPNst7m.jpg

wmfwxzk.jpg

MjhOD0I.jpg

lNPrv8i.jpg

dave

I don't think Kibler completes them for customers? They're so perfectly fitted and engineered as is. Simple assembly wi
As far as I know Kibler will build the gun "in the white" fully assembled. But at an extra cost and extra wait time. And the barrel and stock are not finished. It would be best to check there website.

Last edited:
As far as I know Kibler will build the gun "in the white" fully assembled. But at an extra cost and extra wait time. And the barrel and stock are not finished. It would be best to check there website.
My understanding as well. Minimal tools for assembling, especially in the white. Finishing the stock the most satisfying part too

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Black Powder TV videos by Bob McBride on YouTube. If you watch all his videos I'm fairly certain all your questions will be answered. He provides a lot of information and his videos are easy for the novice shooter to understand. Another guy to watch is Black Powder Maniac Shooter. His videos are more "zany" but he provides some good information also.

I have a Kibler colonial the single trigger is super nice. I have a Pedersoli double trigger and a traditions.

I actually like the Kibler trigger better

Another thing to add, I’ve learned through my dive in muzzleloaders is that things like live, powder and bullet preference is just that. Try different things and have fun.

The individuality of your gun and kit make it fun. Play around with it.

I'm back to the single trigger, but Caywood's Wilson Trade gun can be configured as a 50 caliber rifle. Caywood will make a left or tight hand version. Should be worth a look.

WILSON TRADE GUN (caywoodguns.com)

2 Wilson Trade Guns (caywoodguns.com)
I like the double set on my TOTW SMR kit gun. The trigger unset works really well and the trigger set at the heavy end can even be worked with my numb trigger finger.All I can feel is pressure now with it, not touch and there is enough on set to use the trigger accurately.
The best double set trigger configuration is one that sets from the front trigger and fires from the back. My Patriot is set up like that and I love it. I will have to make one of those some day for my rifle. I've already made two set triggers from scratch , one single set and the other a close couple double set, neither was particularly hard to do. Most any competent home machinist/tinkerer can do the job if they want to.

Last edited:
Please go to the TVM website and look at the rifles they have. They offer good quality semi custom rifles and smoothbores for good prices. He will build you what you want and if you tell him no cheek piece he will leave it out. He will customize it any way you want. Talk to him and he can help get you started.
https://www.tvmnatchez.com

Please go to the TVM website and look at the rifles they have. They offer good quality semi custom rifles and smoothbores for good prices. He will build you what you want and if you tell him no cheek piece he will leave it out. He will customize it any way you want. Talk to him and he can help get you started.
https://www.tvmnatchez.com
That sounds wonderful if he could do that! I'll send him an email right away.

Update it looks like TVM will be able to customize the stock to be straight without a cheekpad though I wonder if having a double cheekpad is a thing 🤔 Haha.

I'm looking at a TVM Early Virginia, Iron Pennsylvania or a Southern mountain. I had an offer of from a member here to let me drive to his farm to shoot, going to take him up on that and hopefully learn a few things.
Thank you so much everyone for your help. @Grenadier1758 thanks for your many recommendations, I still regret that I couldn't get that Blue creek ashwood, I've never seen a more beautiful grain.

So you are not concerned about historical context. That is fine but important to know when giving advice.

dave

Historical accuracy is in ranges of degrees right? Nothing is 100% PC. What for example would be inaccurate about a TVM?
If its something designed with the style of a period or a mish mash of rifles we have of that time, I personally feel its good enough. If its something horribly egregious I would like to know before I bought one! :) Thanks Dave

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back