• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trying to purchase a rifle and so many questions left unanswered.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
There are historically correct issues with TVM guns but my main point is early Virginia and Pennsylvania rifles were mounted in brass not iron.

dave

By mounted do you mean brass barrel? because the Early Virginia has brass trigger guard, butt plate, nose cap, and ramrod loops.
Sorry I'm very uneducated in terminology still.

Do you have a picture of an original?

1617941268574.png

Hi Osseon,
I previously suggested a possible solution. Buy a rifle set up as a fowler. Order a fowler, which usually do not have cheek pieces and have the maker put a rifled version of the barrel on it. Here is an example. It represents a British officer's rifled fusil from the 1770s and as such is cut back for a bayonet. It is my current favorite rifle to shoot. It could be shot left or right easily. The barrel is simply a Colerain Griffin profile fowler barrel that is rifled.
KIsn15S.jpg

iPNst7m.jpg

wmfwxzk.jpg

MjhOD0I.jpg

lNPrv8i.jpg

dave

Well, there's a 'put together' piece, and Dave Person 'put together' piece. Which do you prefer? ;)

By mounted do you mean brass barrel? because the Early Virginia has brass trigger guard, butt plate, nose cap, and ramrod loops.Sorry I'm very uneducated in terminology still.Do you have a picture of an original?

View attachment 72224

'Mounted' means all the metal work, except the lock. IOW, the nosecap, trigger guard, butt plate [if fitted with one, and thimbles/pipes for the ramrod.

Historical accuracy is in ranges of degrees right? Nothing is 100% PC. What for example would be inaccurate about a TVM?
If its something designed with the style of a period or a mish mash of rifles we have of that time, I personally feel its good enough. If its something horribly egregious I would like to know before I bought one! :) Thanks Dave
The TVM rifles are more or less true to the period and are not a copy of a historically correct firearm of the period. Putting iron mountings on a rifle that in the period would have brass mountings, putting a Germanic (Siler) Lock on a rifle or fowling gun that should have an English lock, are a couple of examples of deviation from a historically correct firearm. In and of each issue doesn't alter the acceptable function of the firearm, but you may find it difficult to find a match of a TVM rifle in "Rifles of Colonial America" (RCA). Osseon, I would think that a TVM rifle built for you would be a good choice.

@TFoley should have included the barrel in the metal work. The mountings are all the other metal pieces such as the butt plate, patch box, trigger guard, ramrod thimbles and nose cap.

I mentioned all of those items except the patchbox - bearing in mind that some long rifles did not actually have them at all.

However, I excepted the barrel as I've never seen a brass-barrelled long rifle of any style. Can you show us an image of one?

The TVM rifles are more or less true to the period and are not a copy of a historically correct firearm of the period. Putting iron mountings on a rifle that in the period would have brass mountings, putting a Germanic (Siler) Lock on a rifle or fowling gun that should have an English lock, are a couple of examples of deviation from a historically correct firearm. In and of each issue doesn't alter the acceptable function of the firearm, but you may find it difficult to find a match of a TVM rifle in "Rifles of Colonial America" (RCA). Osseon, I would think that a TVM rifle built for you would be a good choice.

I don't think I'm experienced enough in the hobby to have found my degree of historical correctness. I'm kind of in the vague area of "Is it using the technology of the time, loosely based on something real, and it was possible during the period" then I think I can accept it. I'm going to try and Jim Kiblier next weekend as well as possibly a pedersoli. Maybe seeing them will trigger something inside me lol.

I've been reading on TVMs and it seems like they offer an english lock for the Early Virginia, which lock would you recommend if you don't mind me asking?

1617975432264.png

@Osseon, I would recommend the Chambers Colonial Virginia Lock or the Round Faced English which are not on the list. The Chambers Late Ketland is one of the best performing locks available and the Colonial Virginia Lock should be as good. The L&R Queen Anne Flint is a good choice as well, just not as highly regarded as the Chamber's Locks. I have an L&R Lock on my Derringer Rifle and it is a good performing lock.

Jim Chambers Flintlocks

Oh, and yes on getting the swamped barrel.

Hi,
There are historically correct issues with TVM guns but my main point is early Virginia and Pennsylvania rifles were mounted in brass not iron.

dave
Today's iron mounts are copies of original brass castings. Iron was used in forged fittings and has a totally different configuration. Think SMR or Tennesee here. Compare the two and you will see the difference.

@Osseon, I would recommend the Chambers Colonial Virginia Lock or the Round Faced English which are not on the list. The Chambers Late Ketland is one of the best performing locks available and the Colonial Virginia Lock should be as good. The L&R Queen Anne Flint is a good choice as well, just not as highly regarded as the Chamber's Locks. I have an L&R Lock on my Derringer Rifle and it is a good performing lock.

Jim Chambers Flintlocks

Oh, and yes on getting the swamped barrel.

I'll see if TVM might accept a lock I send to him. Thank you for the recommendations. I assume the Chambers Colonial (not available at TVM) would be the most PC out of the list?

I'll see if TVM might accept a lock I send to him. Thank you for the recommendations. I assume the Chambers Colonial (not available at TVM) would be the most PC out of the list?
TVM will put any lock on you want. Like I said call and talk to them. You will be surprised by how they will work with you sir. Ask them all your questions. I found them very friendly and easy to work with.
Now I will state something that is going to make alot of guys very angry.
There is no such thing as a Modern Made Muzzleloading Rifle or Smoothbore that is 100% Period Correct - Historically Correct. Why? Because all of the modern made guns use modern made steel barrels even if they are made out of damascus or wrought iron (and these are very expensive) they are still modern made. They are made with modern power tools or CNC equipment using modern electricity in modern gun shops using modern safety standards, Especially with the gun barrels themselves. Otherwise any manufacturer and that includes the pure custom shops, would find themselves under serious legal lawsuits that would, especially for the smaller shops, result in bankruptcy due to safety lawsuits. The most anyone can say is that they own a Modern Made Replica of a Historically Correct Rifle or Smoothbore. That's all they can say. This is what I tell people when they ask me questions when I am at the range.

Go to TVM and just tell them what you want. They will order everything if they do not have it. Stay away from kits until you familiarize yourself with muzzleloaders and shooting them. Make sure you measure your Length of Pull and the drop you want on the stock. TVM can help you do this. Everyone shoots differently and mounts differently according to their body frame. If you are going to spend the money get it done the way you want it. For a first time build TVM is the best option. After that if you want something else then by all means pursue it. This is the way I went when I first came on board many years ago and I do not regret it.

Back