• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trying to pick a Turkey gun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A.J.

32 Cal
Reaction score
So In another thread on General muzzle loading I was recommended the
Pedersoli shotgun I believe. Not sure I want my first muzzle loader to have two barrels. Anyway also looking at the 1842 Springfield smooth bore .69 that was also recommended. My question is can anyone direct me to single barrel shotgun? Also what manufactures and retailers should I use or avoid.

Thanks

AJ a lot depends on your budget , there are numerous builders as well as parts and styles available.

Are you looking at a factory built gun or a semi custom..?

The first thing that came too my mind was a Colerain turkey special barrel, I hear some are good out too 35-40 yards with the right load..

I know a Guy that has a flintlock with screw in choke tubes.... 10 gauge and it is a Turkey Taker!

I’m not sure how well the Springfield will do, but I’m sure someone here has tried one.. good luck in your search.

Be Willing to spend up to $1000 or little more if need be. Factory or semi doesn't really matter.

A semi custom will cost you a little more....new.

You can look around on the forums & www and find a good used semi custom in that price range..

Other than Pedersoli , I’m not sure what else is still available, factory made..

Another option would be the Colerain turkey barrel on a TC stock or something similar.

Buying a barrel and mounting it too a stock isn’t a big task.

I had a GM .62 smoothbore barrel I put on a Renegade stock.

It made a good handling gun, but wasn’t a turkey special...

10 gauge Pedersoli using the variant of the sky chief load. I like having two barrels for turkey and waterfowl.
For me it is the following load.
1. 110 grains of Goex OE.
2. 1/8 inch Leather OP wad punched out to bore size or slightly larger. 0.775 inch Other people use thin cards or the nitro cards. I do not care for them as they do not seal the bore as well unless you use multiple ones.
3. For the left barrel, 1/4 inch hard lubed natural felt wad. Right barrel 2 1/4 inch hard lubed felt wads. Left barrel is imp cyl and right is cyl bore.
4. 1 1/2 oz of #5 shot bismuth or you can go with lead nickel or copper plated.
5. Both barrels get a 1/4 inch hard lubed felt wad on top.

There are many variations you just have to try and see what works for you.

Latest posts

Back