• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trying to make a horn for first time

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alde

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I'm enjoying working on it so far. I've only just started but it's making progress. It's an American Bison horn. I have the books Recreating the 18th Century Powder Horn and Powder Horns Fabrication & Decoration. Right now I'm using one of those 8" 4 way rasps. It works okay but I'll be shopping for some longer rasps and files with comfortable handles. I will post updates now and then.
F30B7BE5-34F2-4FBC-B114-A9823F325186_converted.jpg

That 4 way rasp is the same as I use, I have a few different sizes. I also find that the Nichols are the best.. Chinese ones not so much.. I use these files to mainly shape the horn.
Before I start my horn I’ll normally let it soak in water for a week or two, then draw file with a sharp knife, IF it’s a raw horn such as your buffalo horn is. Then I shape it with the fourway files. After shaping is done I then sand it with 220 grit. To finish it off I s steel wool it, sand it with 1200 grit wet sand paper, then if you want that “ plastic look” use some cutting compound and polish it.

That 4 way rasp is the same as I use, I have a few different sizes. I also find that the Nichols are the best.. Chinese ones not so much.. I use these files to mainly shape the horn.
Before I start my horn I’ll normally let it soak in water for a week or two, then draw file with a sharp knife, IF it’s a raw horn such as your buffalo horn is. Then I shape it with the fourway files. After shaping is done I then sand it with 220 grit. To finish it off I s steel wool it, sand it with 1200 grit wet sand paper, then if you want that “ plastic look” use some cutting compound and polish it.
Thank you for the information. Is it to late for me to soak mine? The rasp I have is a cheap one from Lowes. I'll shop around for a better one.

Looking good, but those 4-way cabinetmaker's rasps make it a lot of work, especially the ones I've seen in the last few years. I do 90% of the work with a 4x36 benchtop belt sander. Then a good, half-round file, then various sandpaper grits and shaping files. A chainsaw sharpening file is great for doing rings.

My first two, a right and a left.

20230724_215241.jpg

I REALLY need some decent straps but I was in a pinch to use the bottom one and it was either paracord, mule tape, or a new bootblace so a boot lace it got.

Looking good, but those 4-way cabinetmaker's rasps make it a lot of work, especially the ones I've seen in the last few years. I do 90% of the work with a 4x36 benchtop belt sander. Then a good, half-round file, then various sandpaper grits and shaping files. A chainsaw sharpening file is great for doing rings.

My first two, a right and a left.

View attachment 239065

I REALLY need some decent straps but I was in a pinch to use the bottom one and it was either paracord, mule tape, or a new bootblace so a boot lace it got.
Those look great Ian. If I decide to do more than one which I think I might I will look into a belt sander. I have a guitar nut slot file that I think will work great on rings.

Love the Buffalo horn! I have a few and just haven’t started those ones yet. I believe it was the artist Alfred Jacob Miller, when making notes for and on his sketches during his tour through the west in the 1830’s Or around there, he describes a mountain man,(might have been Walker), riding into camp. He described all his garb, and mentions him as having a powder horn made of an antelope horn or shed, (yes antelope slip their horns usually in November up here). Anyway he described it as being polished so thin and smooth that the powder level could easily be seen! I have some and am going to tackle that project this winter. Should have enough time as winter lasts 11 1/2 months where I live 🤣☹️ No time now as I am working on getting running water after 7 years. Not as tough as I used to be! 👍🏻

Love the Buffalo horn! I have a few and just haven’t started those ones yet. I believe it was the artist Alfred Jacob Miller, when making notes for and on his sketches during his tour through the west in the 1830’s Or around there, he describes a mountain man,(might have been Walker), riding into camp. He described all his garb, and mentions him as having a powder horn made of an antelope horn or shed, (yes antelope slip their horns usually in November up here). Anyway he described it as being polished so thin and smooth that the powder level could easily be seen! I have some and am going to tackle that project this winter. Should have enough time as winter lasts 11 1/2 months where I live 🤣☹️ No time now as I am working on getting running water after 7 years. Not as tough as I used to be! 👍🏻

None of us are. I'll split my 11.5 months of summer with you and we'll both have more time for horn work with our shops opened up. It gets a little "stanky" when using power tools.

I made a patch knife with an antelope horn tip handle. Definitely not the more pleasant of smells for sure🤢the splitting the seasons sounds nice, but I live in the middle of nowhere and I can’t really leave in the winter because I can get snowed and drifted out and it makes for a long day riding a snow machine 4 miles to the highway to start the truck and go to work 🤣

Next thing ya know, you will be putting a flush toilet in the house, right there in the same building you eat in!

Thank you for the information. Is it to late for me to soak mine? The rasp I have is a cheap one from Lowes. I'll shop around for a better one.
No it’s not too late, although I would stay away from using a belt sander. Every horn is different, some softer and some harder than others, once you take that material off with a belt sander…. It can’t be replaced. I’ve made over 200 horns in my life and I’ve done them all by hand, with the exception of drilling the holes for the base plug. I suggest to any novice to go slow and use hand tools to start off with until you get the feel for working with horn material. Just my 2 cents….

No it’s not too late, although I would stay away from using a belt sander. Every horn is different, some softer and some harder than others, once you take that material off with a belt sander…. It can’t be replaced. I’ve made over 200 horns in my life and I’ve done them all by hand, with the exception of drilling the holes for the base plug. I suggest to any novice to go slow and use hand tools to start off with until you get the feel for working with horn material. Just my 2 cents….
I appreciate the advice of an experienced horner. I'm retired and have more time than money to buy new power tools anyway. I enjoy working with my hands.

After I soak do I work while it's wet or at least still has moisture in it? I ordered a couple of better files. One is a Vintage Nicholsen 10" Half Round Rasp with wood handle that i found for $14.00. It looked like to good a deal to pass up.

I would draw knife when wet and yes, you could file when wet as well, It may plug up your file a little more, just grab a small brass wire brush and brush the file when needed. The main thing about the horn being wet, is that it makes it easier to take more material off while using a draw knife. Good luck and have fun!

I would draw knife when wet and yes, you could file when wet as well, It may plug up your file a little more, just grab a small brass wire brush and brush the file when needed. The main thing about the horn being wet, is that it makes it easier to take more material off while using a draw knife. Good luck and have fun!
Thank you for steering me in the right direction. My horn is soaking right now. I'll follow your advice and post back as I work on it.

Back