• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trying to get ready for an Elk hunt.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I posted earlier my dad and I got drawn for Idaho Unit 54 Muzzleloader elk tags. There were only 10 tags given out for the area. It should be a good hunt.

We are trying to get ready, but things keep happening.

First, and worst of all, my mom slipped and fell and broke several ribs. She is 72 and does not heal as well as she used to. She is basically bed ridden at the moment. My dad was thinking he was not going to be able to go because he had no one to stay with her. Well my daughter worked out being able to fly up to my parent’s to stay with my mom so my dad could meet me. That was a real blessing.

My truck I needed to go hunting broke down and cost $2000.00 to get fixed.

Then yesterday my dad called. He was trying to work up a load for some Lee REAL bullets. He is shooting a 50 cal. with a slow twist and was trying to work up a heavier bullet than his PRB load he uses for deer. At 50 yards all was going good. Then he moved back to 100 yards and his groups totally fell apart. Then to top it off while he was at the range he knocked his rifle over and broke the back sight. He said he has a new sight on now, but is going to have to go back to PRB for the hunt because he does not have the time to do anything else. He has a very good PRB load. We will just have to get close.

We leave Sept. 22nd and the season opens Sept. 25th.

I am excited about the hunt, but I have never had a hunt where so many things went wrong just before going.

Nice thing about it, they're going wrong BEFORE you leave, with time to work out solutions. On the up side, what could go wrong now that you have everything "fixed?" :grin:

Here's hoping you have a great trip. Seems like all my best hunts were a challenge to get off the ground beforehand, so here's hoping yours turns out the same way! :thumbsup:

My experience with REAL bullets was the same as your dad's. Touching holes at 50 yards and 12 inches at 100.

But, he identified the problem in time :thumbsup:

I recall your previous topic wherein you worried about the adequacy of the .50 PRB. IMO, we way under rate the ability of the .50 PRB. I think if he draws the line at the range at which he can consistently put the ball in the vitals he will have no problem.

I've always been an advocate of the .54 PRB on elk, but many reliable first hand sources have me changing my thinking on that.

Sorry to hear of all the problems. Especially your Mom. You are lucky to have family like you do who are willing to help.

Far as that truck goes, it was going to shoot craps and swallow the 2G anyway. At least it didn't happen on your hunting trip.

Best of luck. Looking forward to the report.

Sounds like my first deer hunt. Seems like everything when wrong and all the planning was a waste of time but in the end it worked out. I hope things work out for you.

You're lucky. My truck always breaks on the way there or back. I had a blowout at 70 MPH on the way home from the last one. The radial peeled and beat the rear of the fender into a pancake. $350 for body work and $775 for new tires.

Your dad still has time to work up a load. Tell him to try a felt wad under the REAL.

I'm 72 also and broken bones are a fact of life in older females. Good luck and quick healing wishes to your mom.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, especially about your mom. Your post makes me feel not so alone. I've had that kind of year too. Seems like every year I have a major car repair issue during deer season costing me more money than I have and time in the woods. I'm hoping the $3,300 transmission I put in 2 months ago has me covered for this years breakdown.

Best of luck on your hunt. I look forward to the story and pictures.

Here is some good news. I have talked to a few guys that are saying they are seeing a ton of elk in the unit.

rodwha said:
Was your dad using felt wads under the REALs?

What was his load and did he try various alterations?

yes he was using felt wads. he tried a few loads at 50 yards and said he had the bullets touching. he moved back to 100 and no matter what he did he could not get them to group. he said it was so bad he could not keep 5 shots on a 2'x2' piece of paper. moved back up to 50 and put the right where they had been.

Idaho Ron said:
Here is some good news. I have talked to a few guys that are saying they are seeing a ton of elk in the unit.

That is very good news. Thank you.

and too everyone else. Thanks for the encouraging words.

Sorry to hear of your problems...kinda takes a little enjoyment from the hunt.

Have elk hunted Colorado for many years and luckily have had only 2 incidents which didn't cut down any hunting time because of good planning. The second incident was a serious truck problem which I won't relate.

The 1st incident....Had the cargo trailer packed and was on the way to pick up the last guy. Just turned a corner 2 blocks from my buddy's house when I heard a loud screech and saw the trailer pass me by, run into a ditch and finally come to a stop by hitting a culvert. The tongue bar had cracked off at the frame. My buddy's friend had a trailer so we packed a second time and were on our way w/o further complications. Often think...what if this had happened on the interstate at 70 MPH. So there was an upside....Fred

Thank you for the story. Things could have happened at a worse time for me. My truck did not bread down 600 miles into my 1200 mile trip.

Back