• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cow Elk Load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
60 cal. smoothbores and .50 cal. rifled guns in percussion & flintlock ignitions. Depending on game and distance will determine the charges. Usually in the 75 to 85 grain range of FFF Goex.

I'm 80 and explained why I asked it. Just curious what other use. I wasn't asking what load to use. Is that hard for you to understand?

Just making conversation.

btw..Your example isn't even legal in my state. Not even close to legal. I wouldn't call it a humane load for elk.
Agreed - 50 and larger, most states are now requiring larger calibers for muzzleloaders.

My .54 GPR it likes 90 grains of 3F BP. Holes touching (or nearly so) from 75 yards with about a 5 inch group at 100 yards. But the ML might be more accurate than my old eyes can see to shoot.
Seems odd that your "touching" groups opens to 5" just because of a 25 yard increase. Did I read that right?

I have been cow hunting with 130gr 2f behind a .570 ball. I'll let you know how it works out.

I have a new NW Trade Gun (with no rear sight like most originals), copied from a gun in a Denver museum. With testing off the bench its shooting to the right about 4 inches and 8 inches low.

Seems it shoots the same with various powder charges. We need to figure out a way to use "Kentucky Windage" to correct what we have and still be within the guide-lines for the NMLRA rules. Fun times ...

I have a new NW Trade Gun (with no rear sight like most originals), copied from a gun in a Denver museum. With testing off the bench its shooting to the right about 4 inches and 8 inches low.

Seems it shoots the same with various powder charges. We need to figure out a way to use "Kentucky Windage" to correct what we have and still be within the guide-lines for the NMLRA rules. Fun times ...

Just hook it through a tree crotch and bend it till it works. Or not, ;)

I may have posted already? This years cow, 45 yds .54 PRB 70 gr Black MZ Went 50 yds Didn't think i hit her, she simply turned around and left and fell over in 50 yds.

Seems odd that your "touching" groups opens to 5" just because of a 25 yard increase. Did I read that right?
I may have stated this prior in this thread or another one. Its to my belief that the difference is from my actual vision (old eyes). In any event, by the time I had nailed down the load I was getting tired and my shoulder informed me that my shooting session was done for the day. Hopefully, the next time out I will start out more fresh from 100 yards.

Never had the opportunity to hunt elk and at my age I’m not sure I ever will have that chance. But what would be the difference between a cow elk load and a bull elk load?
IMO, not a thing. Not even for deer. The only time I ever notice recoil is when target shooting. I never feel it while hunting. So recoil is a nonissue to this ole boy.

Big game is big game. I see no reason what so ever to be switching powder charges. Not for deer, elk or bear. The Elk load (which in my GPR is maximum) will suffice for all big game listed. Why complicate things? Dead is dead.

Latest posts

Back